Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hijacked Connection??

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gregoryd

gregoryd

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 21 June 2009 - 09:49 PM

I'm back.
How can I find out what is connecting to the internet? Normally my little internet monitor icon is dark blue when idle but since my last start up after the kids were playing it's almost always light blue and doing that thang it does when I'm loading a page or downloading something, only I'm not, so I know it's not me. My updates are all set to manual so it's got me to thinking that someone or something may be connecting to the internet without my say so.

Thanks.
From the guy who's going to need to have a lot of beer on hand if you guys ever show up here for payment.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,702 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2009 - 09:56 PM

Well. . . there are several different ways of accomplishing what you ask. In my opinion, here's the best way.

If you are running a good firewall with outbound protection (the firewall built into Windows does not have outbound protection, only inbound.), you can specifically set which programs do and do not have access to the Internet. There are a couple good free software firewalls out there. Kerio and Comodo Firewall (remember to uncheck Install Comodo Antivirus) are two that I recommend.

This will not only provide a means of knowing what is connecting to the Internet, but a means of actively controlling who can connect.

Hope that helps

~Blade

Edited by Blade Zephon, 21 June 2009 - 09:57 PM.

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#3 gregoryd

gregoryd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2009 - 10:23 PM

Thanks mate.
I forgot about Comodo. Used to run it on the old HP PC. Will do.

Thanks again.
Greg

#4 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 22 June 2009 - 03:25 AM

Unless you specifically want to stay with your present Anti-Virus I would advise you to install the complete Comodo CIS v3.9 suite I have been running it for over a year without any contamination. My previous AV was Avira and in my opinion the present Comodo AV is just as good and getting better with 3-4 updates per day at the moment. The added bonus with the CIS suite is that it is very light on resources and has no conflicting programs problems.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users