Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Service Pack 3 installation stalls and won't complete

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jabroy

jabroy

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 21 June 2009 - 09:24 PM

Hello,

I'm looking for assistance in solving why I can't update my Dell Latitude to Service Pack 3. The installation seems to load ok but stalls when running progams afer installation and won't complete.

Thanx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,424 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 22 June 2009 - 09:15 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

<<The installation seems to load ok but stalls when running progams afer installation and won't complete.>>

The install either completes (system reboots) or it doesn't complete...it cannot do both. Which is it?

Start/My Computer/Properties...what level is displayed on the General tab?

Did you consult the following link?

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...;l=en&s=gen

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 25 June 2009 - 08:23 AM.

#3 jabroy

jabroy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2009 - 08:08 PM

Hello Louis,
Thanks for your reply. You're right, my installation does not complete. The process hangs with the 2nd of two windows saying "Software Update Installation Wizard" box still up on the screen. The top says "Updating Your System", the progress indicator says "Finishing Installation" and is at about 60 % or so and the "Details" box says "Running processes after install".

There is no error messages and the original window that started is in the background. Its title is "Installing Updates" Its
Installation Status: says
Downloading Windows Service pack 3 (KB936929)(update 1 of 1)...done!
Initializing Installation...done!
Installing Windows Service Pack 3 (KB936929)(update 1 of 1)...[cursor sits here just blinking]

The Installing progress indicator is at about 60%.

On my Dell I followed all the instructions offered at the help website you gave including turning off all virus program and reran the update. It still hangs at the same location. On the Dell though, I had already updated to Internet Explorer 8 and the website had mentioned something about not having 8 installed. So I did not try to un-install Internet 8 before rerunning and it hung at the same place again.

I have a 2nd laptop, an Acer Aspire 5672 WLMI and tried to bring all its updates current also. On this one, I did not install Internet 8 before the service pack 3 update, but did make sure all the virus protection was turned off before install and the installation failed on this machine in the exact same place as the Dell above. I have just been trying to see if the installation will complete on its own and have left it running now for about six hours. The conditions I described above remain.

On both laptop machines, the My Computer properties tab still say Service Pack 2. Both machines are running XP pro.

I have three other desktop machines all running XP pro and have been able to successfully install the Service pack 3 update on these. Is it a laptop problem in general?

Hope this sheds a little more light on my symptoms.

james

#4 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 24 June 2009 - 08:16 PM

Although this might be a shot in the dark, I have had this problem with Service Pack 3 stalling and not completing installation using "Windows Update".

As a rule, I download the full service pack, located here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en and then run the installer.

You may want to give this a try and let us know what comes about.

Good Luck,
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#5 jabroy

jabroy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2009 - 10:33 PM

Hi Techextreme,

Well I followed your instructions, downloaded and ran SP3 from the desktop of the Acer Laptop. I was stoked for a moment because the install zoomed right past the previous hanging point. But it still hung at the Performing Cleanup step of the install. It looks like its about 90% complete but won't go any further. The desktop icons and screen flashes regularly at approximately 25 to 30 second intervals like its trying to do something but won't go any further.

I didn't try it on the Dell yet because this one didn't complete.

Thanks for you help. Any ideas on what else to try?

#6 jabroy

jabroy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2009 - 10:43 PM

Hi,

I take that back. After about 60 minutes on the Performing cleanup step and after I made my last post, it finally finished and went to the restart computer phase.

My Computer properties tab says Service Pack 3.

Success!!!!

Thank you very much and I will repeat the process on the Dell tomorrow. I'll be a little more patient in letting the processes complete though.

James

#7 jabroy

jabroy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2009 - 08:06 AM

Thank you Techextreme!

Your shot in the dark worked like a champ! Both laptops updated correctly by running the service pack from the desktops. It uncanny how most of the fixes needed are really very simple but mean nothing without the knowledge of how and when to use them. You have solved my problems and I appreciate your input.

Thanks!

#8 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 26 June 2009 - 10:03 AM

Wonderful news. Glad to hear it worked.

Thanks,
Techextreme