Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

new monitor causing problems

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nmittal

nmittal

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 21 June 2009 - 07:19 PM

Hey, I've been using a Dell Dimension E510 for the past 3 years and just upgraded my 19'' to a 24'' flat panel monitor. After 20-30 minutes, my comp gets really hot and it keeps turning off and then restarting over again. I'm not sure what's going on, could it be overheating? The back of the system also smells like its burning a little.

I don't want to return the monitor, what should i do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 21 June 2009 - 07:37 PM

A monitor...should have no effect at all on a system, other than providing visuals from signals sent.

Monitors have their own power cords connections, so I don't think it would be capable of contributing to any system overheating.

You might check the internals of the system, though.

Cleaning the Interior of your PC - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/cleaning-the-inside-of-your-pc/

Computer Cleaning Information - http://www.computerhope.com/cleaning.htm

Are your fans working properly?

Louis

#3 nmittal

nmittal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 21 June 2009 - 07:46 PM

i think the fan might be the problem

I can visually see chunks of dust on the fans, do you think it would also be best to replace them? It has been three years and they could be wearing out. Would it cost alot to send it somewhere like best buy?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 22 June 2009 - 11:15 AM

Did you try...cleaning the fans?

Which fans are you referring to?

If they turn (after cleaning), I wouldn't replace them.

The fan in the power supply is a different animal. If blowing the dust/dirt away doesn't do any good...I would replace the power supply (based on the premise that it's probably damaged).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users