Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer infected, won't run anti-malware programs

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 laterimage

laterimage

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 21 June 2009 - 05:14 PM

A couple days ago I was infected with a virus. Pop-up windows opened advertising various "programs" to get rid of viruses, and my desktop changed to a large picture telling me that I had spyware and it was going to wreck my life. I ran combofix, then ran malwarebytes, and the virus seemed to have disappeared. today, I noticed that occasionally when I was using the internet when I clicked on a page result from google, I would be sent to the home page of the advertising company MIVA. I tried to run combofix again, and it did not open. I tried to run Malwarebytes and it did not open. I downloaded and installed Superantispyware and that will bring up a window saying that it encountered a problem and needs to close. My only antivirus that works is Symantec Corporate edition, and the always picks up three counts of Packed.Generic.200, with the filename: uacesshqwmqntmogxy.dll. Symantec tells me it takes acction on these files, but my computer's behavior is not changed, and if i run the search again it picks up the same thing.

I run Windows XP Media Center, please let me know if you need any more info so I can fix my computer! I am currently using an alternate, clean computer.

>>UPDATE: I am currently running RootRepeal in efforts to find and erase a potential CLB Rootkit infection aka WinNT-Alureon. I am following these instructions: http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=12709

>>>UPDATE: The above routine was successful in the fact that I can now run Malwarebytes. I am running a quick scan right now.

>>>>UPDATE: The quickscan found 53 infected objects, deleted some and i restarted my computer to delete the rest. I am currently running a full scan.

Edited by laterimage, 21 June 2009 - 06:30 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 laterimage

laterimage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2009 - 08:10 PM

I can now successfully run my anti-spyware programs. Each time i run one it finds spyware, deletes it and i restart my computer. however, everytime the computer restarts the spyware seems to be bringing itself back. help please?

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,567 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2009 - 11:29 AM

Please post the results of your MBAM scan for review.

To retrieve the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware scan log information, launch MBAM.
  • Click the Logs Tab at the top.
    • The log will be named by the date of scan in the following format: mbam-log-date(time).txt
      -- If you have previously used MBAM, there may be several logs showing in the list.
  • Click on the log name to highlight it.
  • Go to the bottom and click on Open.
  • The log should automatically open in notepad as a text file.
  • Go to Edit and choose Select all.
  • Go back to Edit and choose Copy or right-click on the highlighted text and choose copy from there.
  • Come back to this thread, click Add Reply, then right-click and choose Paste.
  • Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.
  • Exit MBAM when done.
Logs are saved to the following locations:
-- In XP: C:\Documents and Settings\\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs
-- In Vista: C:\Documents and Settings\Users\All Users\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs

Please download and scan with Dr.Web CureIt - alternate download link.
Follow these instructions for performing a scan in "safe mode".
If you cannot boot into safe mode, then perform your scan in normal mode. Be aware, this scan could take a long time to complete.
-- Post the log in your next reply. If you can't find the log, try to write down what was detected/removed before exiting Dr.WebCureIt so you can provide that information.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users