Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WD hard drive isn't assigned the drive letter i reformated it with

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Kris B

Kris B

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 21 June 2009 - 03:37 PM

Okay so here it goes. I recently purchased the 2TB My Book Home Edition external hard drive to store some files that are on my 1TB My Book Home Edition. The back story is that when I got my 1Tb My Book, it didn't work on my laptop. It would not show up under My Computer. I handed it to my roommate and he ran the WD FAT32 Formatter program on it from his laptop. Once that was finished I plugged it in and I have had no problems with it.

When the new hard drive arrived I plugged it in and nothing came up for the add new hardware wizard. Since then I have taken a number of steps in order to try and get the drive to show up under My Computer. My last step was to plug the drive into another computer in the house and delete the partion that was on the drive. I then went through and created a new partion, named the drive, and formatted it to NTFS. On my other computer the drive shows up just fine, however, on my laptop when I plug the drive in, it does not show up under my computer. It DOES show up under Computer Manager>Disk Manager. Disk Manager show the name of the drive, the file system as being NTFS and the status as being Healthy. The only thing it doesn't show is the drive letter (z:) that I assigned the drive when i formatted it from the other computer. When i right click on the drive and tell it to assign a drive letter, the drive letter (z:) is not on the drop down menu. I can select another letter i.e. (y:) but the drive still does not show up in my computer. Also, when i unplug the drive from the usb and then plug it back in and check for it under Disk Mangager, it no longer has the drive letter (y:) assigned to it. I have also tried uninstalling the WD My Book USB Device from the device mager, but nothing seems to work. I am assuming the problem is rooted in the drive to not be assigned the drive letter (z:) that i formatted it with on the other computer.

I have been reading around the internet for 2 days and have talked to WD support twice with no straight answers. On another forum I saw something about the MBR not matching what was in the registry may cause this type of problem, but i am hesitent to mess with the registry unless someone can give me detailed instructions on what to delete.
Any ideas on why my laptop won't give the drive the letter i formatted it with from the desktop?'

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 21 June 2009 - 06:21 PM

I don't know...but I would first convert any FAT32 partitions to NTFS, there are no real advantages to be gained by using FAT32 on today's systems for routine business. The FAT32 file system created on a different system...might be the problem, I don't know.

What drive letter was reflected in Device Manager for the mystery drive...when you attempted to give it the letter Z:?

FWIW: If the drive letter is already in use by a partition/drive...Disk Management will not allow that letter to be used.

Louis

#3 Kris B

Kris B
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 21 June 2009 - 08:07 PM

I have formatted the drive to NTFS. When i plug it into my desktop, it is recognized without a problem, it is when i plug it into my laptop that no drive letter is assigned to it. I am trying to figure out what prevents it from automatically assigning a drive letter, and why, even if i manually assign a drive letter to it, it will not show up in My Computer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users