Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Viurs/Malware? Calls itself Advanced Virus Remover

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 kpat1010

kpat1010

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 21 June 2009 - 02:37 PM

I did not download any new virus removal software, but all of a sudden, this "Advanced Virus Remover" showed up in my quick start menu. My home screen of my computer now has a blue blackground with a black box in the middle with red writing "Your System is Infected! System has been stopped due to a serious malfunction. Spyware activity has been detected. It is recommended to use spyware removal tool to prevent data loss. Do not use the computer before all spyware is removed." I ran an antivirus program- avast, but that didn't catch the bug.

It keeps popping up with windows that say it's a trial version and I should run it. It appears to be mimicking a legitimate spyware program, but I couldn't be sure...I tried a simple delete from my hard drive but windows wouldn't let me because the program was running. The program wouldn't let me exit out of it, so I tried CTRL-ALT-DEL to attempt to shut it down that way, but the virus has disabled that function. "Application cannot be executed. The file is infected. Please activate your antivirus software." I tried to install and run the recommended DDS program, but the virus blocked me and said the same thing (application cannot be executed.) Luckily I was able to run HijackThis.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fireman4it

fireman4it

Bleepin' Fireman

• Malware Response Team
  • 13,512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 21 June 2009 - 06:15 PM

Hello kpat1010,

Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Sorry for delayed response. Forums have been really busy.

My name is fireman4it and I will be helping you with your Malware problem.
As I am still in training I will be helping you under supervision of our expert teachers, so there may be a delay between posts.

Please make no further changes or run any other tools unless instructed to. This may hinder the cleaning of your machine.

I will be analyzing your log. I will get back to you with instructions after it is approved.

" Extinguishing Malware from the world"

The Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal forum is very busy. If I'm helping you and I've not posted back within 24 hrs., send a PM with your topic link. Thank you.

ALL OTHER HELP REQUESTS VIA THE PM SYSTEM WILL BE IGNORED. The Forums are there for a reason!
Thanks-

userbar_eis_500.gif

If I have helped you, consider making a donation to help me continue the fight against Malware! Just click btn_donate_LG.gif

#3 fireman4it

fireman4it

Bleepin' Fireman

• Malware Response Team
  • 13,512 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2009 - 02:40 PM

Hello kpat1010,

Please follow all direction in order given.

One or more of the identified infections is a backdoor trojan.

This allows hackers to remotely control your computer, steal critical system information and download and execute files.

I would counsel you to disconnect this PC from the Internet immediately. If you do any banking or other financial transactions on the PC or if it should contain any other sensitive information, please get to a known clean computer and change all passwords where applicable, and it would be wise to contact those same financial institutions to apprise them of your situation.

Though the trojan has been identified and can be killed, because of it's backdoor functionality, your PC is very likely compromised and there is no way to be sure your computer can ever again be trusted. Many experts in the security community believe that once infected with this type of trojan, the best course of action would be a reformat and reinstall of the OS. Please read these for more information:

How Do I Handle Possible Identify Theft, Internet Fraud and CC Fraud?
When Should I Format, How Should I Reinstall

We can still clean this machine but I can't guarantee that it will be 100% secure afterwards. Let me know what you decide to do.

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (v1.32) and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2
If you have a previous version of MBAM, remove it via Add/Remove Programs and download a fresh copy.
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself.
  • Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install. Alternatively, you can update through MBAM's interface from a clean computer, copy the definitions (rules.ref) located in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from that system to a usb stick or CD and then copy it to the infected machine.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Regardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware. MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you after scanning with MBAM. Please temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.

Go to Start > My Computer
Go to Tools > Folder Options
Click on the View tab
Untick the following:
  • Hide extensions for known file types
  • Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)
You will get a message warning you about showing protected operating system files, click Yes
Make sure this option is selected:
  • Show hidden files and folders
Click Apply and then click OK

Go to Start > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs.

Remove the following programs, if they are present.
  • Advanced Virus Remover
If you are unsure of how to use Add or Remove Programs, the please see this tutorial:
How To Remove An Installed Program From Your Computer

Run HijackThis.
Click on Do a system scan only.
Place a checkmark next to these lines (if still present).

R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - {4D25F926-B9FE-4682-BF72-8AB8210D6D75} - C:\Program Files\MyWaySA\SrchAsDe\deSrcAs.dll (file missing)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {4D25F921-B9FE-4682-BF72-8AB8210D6D75} - C:\Program Files\MyWaySA\SrchAsDe\deSrcAs.dll (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - (no file)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [winupdate.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\winupdate.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Advanced Virus Remover] C:\Program Files\AdvancedVirusRemover\PAVRM.exe

Then close all windows except HijackThis and click Fix Checked.

Restart

Use Windows Explorer to find and delete these files:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\winupdate.exe

And these folders:
C:\Program Files\AdvancedVirusRemover

As an example:
To delete C:\WINDOWS\badfile.dll
Double click the My Computer icon on your Desktop. Or click on the Windows KEY + E.
Double click on Local Disc (C:\)
Double click on the Windows folder,
Right click on badfile.dll and then from the menu that appears, click on Delete

Please download GMER from one of the following locations and save it to your desktop:
  • Main Mirror
    This version will download a randomly named file (Recommended)
  • Zipped Mirror
    This version will download a zip file you will need to extract first. If you use this mirror, please extract the zip file to your desktop.
  • Disconnect from the Internet and close all running programs.
  • Temporarily disable any real-time active protection so your security programs will not conflict with gmer's driver.
  • Double-click on the randomly named GMER file (i.e. n7gmo46c.exe) and allow the gmer.sys driver to load if asked.
  • Note: If you downloaded the zipped version, extract the file to its own folder such as C:\gmer and then double-click on gmer.exe.

Posted Image
  • GMER will open to the Rootkit/Malware tab and perform an automatic quick scan when first run. (do not use the computer while the scan is in progress)
  • If you receive a WARNING!!! about rootkit activity and are asked to fully scan your system...click NO.
  • Now click the Scan button. If you see a rootkit warning window, click OK.
  • When the scan is finished, click the Save... button to save the scan results to your Desktop. Save the file as gmer.log.
  • Click the Copy button and paste the results into your next reply.
  • Exit GMER and re-enable all active protection when done.
-- If you encounter any problems, try running GMER in Safe Mode.

Download DDS and save it to your desktop from here or here or here.
Disable any script blocker, and then double click dds.scr to run the tool.

* When done, DDS will open two (2) logs:

1. DDS.txt
2. Attach.txt

Save both reports to your desktop post the contents of the DDS.txt log. Save the other report incase I need to look at it later.

Things to include in your next reply:
MBAM LOG
Gmer log
DDS.txt
Attach.txt
NO need for a HiJackThis log

Edited by fireman4it, 24 June 2009 - 02:41 PM.

The Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal forum is very busy. If I'm helping you and I've not posted back within 24 hrs., send a PM with your topic link. Thank you.

ALL OTHER HELP REQUESTS VIA THE PM SYSTEM WILL BE IGNORED. The Forums are there for a reason!
Thanks-

userbar_eis_500.gif

If I have helped you, consider making a donation to help me continue the fight against Malware! Just click btn_donate_LG.gif

#4 kpat1010

kpat1010
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2009 - 11:32 PM

I did everything you requested. Thank you so much for your thorough and understandable reply.

Here is the MBAM report:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.38
Database version: 2332
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

6/24/2009 6:09:39 PM
mbam-log-2009-06-24 (18-09-39).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 106153
Time elapsed: 6 minute(s), 49 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 1
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 7
Registry Values Infected: 3
Registry Data Items Infected: 9
Folders Infected: 3
Files Infected: 4

Memory Processes Infected:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winupdate.exe (Trojan.Downloader) -> Unloaded process successfully.

Memory Modules Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\minibugtransporter.minibugtransporterx (Adware.Minibug) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{2b96d5cc-c5b5-49a5-a69d-cc0a30f9028c} (Adware.Minibug) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{3c2d2a1e-031f-4397-9614-87c932a848e0} (Adware.Minibug) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{04a38f6b-006f-4247-ba4c-02a139d5531c} (Adware.Minibug) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\minibugtransporter.minibugtransporterx.1 (Adware.Minibug) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{4d25f926-b9fe-4682-bf72-8ab8210d6d75} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\AVR (Rogue.AdvancedVirusRemover) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\advanced virus remover (Rogue.AdvancedVirusRemover) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\URLSearchHooks\{4d25f926-b9fe-4682-bf72-8ab8210d6d75} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\winupdate.exe (Trojan.Downloader) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\DisableTaskMgr (Hijack.TaskManager) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\ActiveDesktop\NoChangingWallpaper (Hijack.DisplayProperties) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\activedesktop\NoChangingWallpaper (Hijack.DisplayProperties) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoSetActiveDesktop (Hijack.DisplayProperties) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoActiveDesktopChanges (Hijack.DisplayProperties) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoSetActiveDesktop (Hijack.DisplayProperties) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoActiveDesktopChanges (Hijack.DisplayProperties) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\FirewallDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:
C:\Program Files\MyWaySA (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
c:\program files\MyWaySA\SrchAsDe (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\AdvancedVirusRemover (Rogue.AdvancedVirusRemover) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Files Infected:
C:\Program Files\AdvancedVirusRemover\PAVRM.exe (Rogue.AdvancedVirusRemover) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\AWS\WeatherBug\MiniBugTransporter.dll (Adware.Minibug) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winupdate.exe (Trojan.Downloader) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\critical_warning.html (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

GMER log

GMER 1.0.15.14972 - http://www.gmer.net
Rootkit scan 2009-06-24 21:12:22
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

---- System - GMER 1.0.15 ----

SSDT \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\aswSP.SYS (avast! self protection module/ALWIL Software) ZwClose [0xAC7AC6B8] <-- ROOTKIT !!!
SSDT \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\aswSP.SYS (avast! self protection module/ALWIL Software) ZwCreateKey [0xAC7AC574] <-- ROOTKIT !!!
SSDT \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\aswSP.SYS (avast! self protection module/ALWIL Software) ZwDeleteValueKey [0xAC7ACA52] <-- ROOTKIT !!!
SSDT \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\aswSP.SYS (avast! self protection module/ALWIL Software) ZwDuplicateObject [0xAC7AC14C] <-- ROOTKIT !!!
SSDT \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\aswSP.SYS (avast! self protection module/ALWIL Software) ZwOpenKey [0xAC7AC64E] <-- ROOTKIT !!!
SSDT \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\aswSP.SYS (avast! self protection module/ALWIL Software) ZwOpenProcess [0xAC7AC08C] <-- ROOTKIT !!!
SSDT \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\aswSP.SYS (avast! self protection module/ALWIL Software) ZwOpenThread [0xAC7AC0F0] <-- ROOTKIT !!!
SSDT \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\aswSP.SYS (avast! self protection module/ALWIL Software) ZwQueryValueKey [0xAC7AC76E] <-- ROOTKIT !!!
SSDT \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\aswSP.SYS (avast! self protection module/ALWIL Software) ZwRestoreKey [0xAC7AC72E] <-- ROOTKIT !!!
SSDT \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\aswSP.SYS (avast! self protection module/ALWIL Software) ZwSetValueKey [0xAC7AC8AE] <-- ROOTKIT !!!

---- User IAT/EAT - GMER 1.0.15 ----

IAT C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe[772] @ C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe [ADVAPI32.dll!CreateProcessAsUserW] 00370002
IAT C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe[772] @ C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe [KERNEL32.dll!CreateProcessW] 00370000

---- Devices - GMER 1.0.15 ----

AttachedDevice \FileSystem\Ntfs \Ntfs aswMon2.SYS (avast! File System Filter Driver for Windows XP/ALWIL Software)
AttachedDevice \Driver\Tcpip \Device\Ip aswTdi.SYS (avast! TDI Filter Driver/ALWIL Software)
AttachedDevice \Driver\Tcpip \Device\Tcp aswTdi.SYS (avast! TDI Filter Driver/ALWIL Software)
AttachedDevice \Driver\Tcpip \Device\Udp aswTdi.SYS (avast! TDI Filter Driver/ALWIL Software)
AttachedDevice \Driver\Tcpip \Device\RawIp aswTdi.SYS (avast! TDI Filter Driver/ALWIL Software)

Device mrxsmb.sys (Windows NT SMB Minirdr/Microsoft Corporation)
Device A4290C8A

AttachedDevice fltMgr.sys (Microsoft Filesystem Filter Manager/Microsoft Corporation)

Device \FileSystem\Fs_Rec \FileSystem\UdfsCdRomRecognizer tfsnifs.sys (Drive Letter Access Component/Sonic Solutions)
Device \FileSystem\Fs_Rec \FileSystem\FatCdRomRecognizer tfsnifs.sys (Drive Letter Access Component/Sonic Solutions)
Device \FileSystem\Fs_Rec \FileSystem\CdfsRecognizer tfsnifs.sys (Drive Letter Access Component/Sonic Solutions)
Device \FileSystem\Fs_Rec \FileSystem\FatDiskRecognizer tfsnifs.sys (Drive Letter Access Component/Sonic Solutions)
Device \FileSystem\Fs_Rec \FileSystem\UdfsDiskRecognizer tfsnifs.sys (Drive Letter Access Component/Sonic Solutions)
Device Cdfs.SYS (CD-ROM File System Driver/Microsoft Corporation)
Device tfsnifs.sys (Drive Letter Access Component/Sonic Solutions)

---- Services - GMER 1.0.15 ----

Service system32\drivers\SKYNETmcpafyvf.sys (*** hidden *** ) [SYSTEM] SKYNETpyrgdycf <-- ROOTKIT !!!

---- Registry - GMER 1.0.15 ----

Reg HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\SKYNETpyrgdycf@start 1
Reg HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\SKYNETpyrgdycf@type 1
Reg HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\SKYNETpyrgdycf@group file system
Reg HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\SKYNETpyrgdycf@imagepath \systemroot\system32\drivers\SKYNETmcpafyvf.sys
Reg HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SKYNETpyrgdycf@start 1
Reg HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SKYNETpyrgdycf@type 1
Reg HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SKYNETpyrgdycf@group file system
Reg HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SKYNETpyrgdycf@imagepath \systemroot\system32\drivers\SKYNETmcpafyvf.sys

---- EOF - GMER 1.0.15 ----

DDS.text

DDS (Ver_09-05-14.01) - NTFSx86
Run by Kathryn Patterson at 21:21:29.73 on Wed 06/24/2009
Internet Explorer: 7.0.5730.11
Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600.2.1252.1.1033.18.2045.1529 [GMT -7:00]

AV: avast! antivirus 4.8.1335 [VPS 090624-0] *On-access scanning enabled* (Updated) {7591DB91-41F0-48A3-B128-1A293FD8233D}

============== Running Processes ===============

C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost -k DcomLaunch
svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs
svchost.exe
svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ezSP_Px.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\PIF\{B8E1DD85-8582-4c61-B58F-2F227FCA9A08}\PIFSvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\RUNDLL32.EXE
C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\EADM\Core.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
C:\Program Files\Logitech\SetPoint\SetPoint.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logitech\KhalShared\KHALMNPR.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTsvcCDA.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehRecvr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehSched.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe -k hpdevmgmt
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\PIF\{B8E1DD85-8582-4c61-B58F-2F227FCA9A08}\PIFSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Motive\McciCMService.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k HPZ12
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k HPZ12
svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe -k imgsvc
C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Common\ViewpointService.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllhost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k HTTPFilter
C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqSTE08.exe
C:\Program Files\Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\Product Assistant\bin\hprblog.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Patterson\Desktop\dds(2).scr

============== Pseudo HJT Report ===============

uStart Page = hxxp://yahoo.sbc.com/dsl
uSearch Page = hxxp://www.google.com
uSearch Bar = hxxp://mysearch.myway.com/jsp/dellsidebar.jsp?p=DE
uDefault_Page_URL = hxxp://www.dell4me.com/myway
uSearchMigratedDefaultURL = hxxp://www.google.com/search?q={searchTerms}&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-US&ie=utf8&oe=utf8
uInternet Settings,ProxyOverride = 127.0.0.1;*.local
mSearchAssistant = hxxp://www.google.com/ie
mURLSearchHooks: H - No File
BHO: HP Print Enhancer: {0347c33e-8762-4905-bf09-768834316c61} - c:\program files\hp\smart web printing\hpswp_printenhancer.dll
BHO: HP Print Clips: {053f9267-dc04-4294-a72c-58f732d338c0} - c:\program files\hp\smart web printing\hpswp_framework.dll
BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class: {06849e9f-c8d7-4d59-b87d-784b7d6be0b3} - c:\program files\adobe\acrobat 7.0\activex\AcroIEHelper.dll
BHO: DriveLetterAccess: {5ca3d70e-1895-11cf-8e15-001234567890} - c:\windows\system32\dla\tfswshx.dll
TB: {0B53EAC3-8D69-4B9E-9B19-A37C9A5676A7} - No File
TB: {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - No File
uRun: [EA Core] "c:\program files\electronic arts\eadm\Core.exe" -silent
uRun: [ctfmon.exe] c:\windows\system32\ctfmon.exe
mRun: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE c:\windows\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
mRun: [ezShieldProtector for Px] c:\windows\system32\ezSP_Px.exe
mRun: [Symantec PIF AlertEng] "c:\program files\common files\symantec shared\pif\{b8e1dd85-8582-4c61-b58f-2f227fca9a08}\pifsvc.exe" /a /m "c:\program files\common files\symantec shared\pif\{b8e1dd85-8582-4c61-b58f-2f227fca9a08}\AlertEng.dll"
mRun: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
mRun: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE c:\windows\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
mRun: [Kernel and Hardware Abstraction Layer] KHALMNPR.EXE
mRun: [HP Software Update] c:\program files\hp\hp software update\HPWuSchd2.exe
mRun: [AppleSyncNotifier] c:\program files\common files\apple\mobile device support\bin\AppleSyncNotifier.exe
mRun: [QuickTime Task] "c:\program files\quicktime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
mRun: [iTunesHelper] "J:\iTunesHelper.exe"
mRun: [avast!] c:\progra~1\alwils~1\avast4\ashDisp.exe
StartupFolder: c:\docume~1\alluse~1\startm~1\programs\startup\hpdigi~1.lnk - c:\program files\hp\digital imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
StartupFolder: c:\docume~1\alluse~1\startm~1\programs\startup\logite~1.lnk - c:\program files\logitech\setpoint\SetPoint.exe
dPolicies-explorer: NoSetActiveDesktop = 1 (0x1)
dPolicies-explorer: NoActiveDesktopChanges = 1 (0x1)
dPolicies-system: DisableTaskMgr = 1 (0x1)
IE: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - c:\progra~1\micros~2\office11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
IE: {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - i:\aol im\aim.exe
IE: {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
IE: {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - c:\program files\messenger\msmsgs.exe
IE: {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - c:\windows\system32\msjava.dll
IE: {58ECB495-38F0-49cb-A538-10282ABF65E7} - {E763472E-A716-4CD9-89BD-DBDA6122F741} - c:\program files\hp\smart web printing\hpswp_extensions.dll
IE: {700259D7-1666-479a-93B1-3250410481E8} - {A93C41D8-01F8-4F8B-B14C-DE20B117E636} - c:\program files\hp\smart web printing\hpswp_extensions.dll
IE: {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - {FF059E31-CC5A-4E2E-BF3B-96E929D65503} - c:\progra~1\micros~2\office11\REFIEBAR.DLL
Trusted Zone: turbotax.com
DPF: Microsoft XML Parser for Java - file://c:\windows\java\classes\xmldso.cab
DPF: {30528230-99f7-4bb4-88d8-fa1d4f56a2ab} - c:\program files\yahoo!\common\yinsthelper.dll
DPF: {8AD9C840-044E-11D1-B3E9-00805F499D93} - hxxp://java.sun.com/products/plugin/autodl/jinstall-142-windows-i586.cab
DPF: {8FFBE65D-2C9C-4669-84BD-5829DC0B603C} - hxxp://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/shockwave/cabs/flash/ultrashim.cab
DPF: {CAFEEFAC-0014-0002-0003-ABCDEFFEDCBA} - hxxp://java.sun.com/products/plugin/autodl/jinstall-142-windows-i586.cab
DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} - hxxp://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab
SSODL: WPDShServiceObj - {AAA288BA-9A4C-45B0-95D7-94D524869DB5} - c:\windows\system32\WPDShServiceObj.dll

================= FIREFOX ===================

FF - ProfilePath - c:\docume~1\kathry~1\applic~1\mozilla\firefox\profiles\98fgsvl5.default\
FF - prefs.js: browser.search.selectedEngine - AOL Search
FF - prefs.js: browser.startup.homepage - www.google.com
FF - prefs.js: keyword.URL - hxxp://search.aol.com/aolcom/search?query=
FF - plugin: c:\documents and settings\kathryn patterson\application data\mozilla\firefox\profiles\98fgsvl5.default\extensions\gametap@gametap.com\plugins\npGameTapWebUpdater.dll
FF - plugin: c:\program files\firefox\plugins\npmozax.dll
FF - plugin: c:\program files\firefox\plugins\npsnapfish.dll
FF - plugin: c:\program files\firefox\plugins\npViewpoint.dll
FF - plugin: c:\program files\gametap web player\bin\release\npGameTapWebPlayer.dll
FF - plugin: c:\program files\java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\NPJava11.dll
FF - plugin: c:\program files\java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\NPJava12.dll
FF - plugin: c:\program files\java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\NPJava13.dll
FF - plugin: c:\program files\java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\NPJava14.dll
FF - plugin: c:\program files\java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\NPJava32.dll
FF - plugin: c:\program files\java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\NPJPI142_03.dll
FF - plugin: c:\program files\java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\NPOJI610.dll
FF - plugin: c:\program files\viewpoint\viewpoint experience technology\npViewpoint.dll
FF - plugin: c:\program files\viewpoint\viewpoint experience technology\npViewpoint_.dll

---- FIREFOX POLICIES ----
c:\program files\firefox\defaults\pref\activexFF15.js - pref("capability.policy.default.ClassID.CID4E7FF8BB-0A5A-4AA3-B764-B39BA9A13E38", "AllAccess");
c:\program files\firefox\defaults\pref\activexFF15.js - pref("capability.policy.default.ClassID.CIDB24F189F-FB14-4EFD-8B9D-217EC6C84EA1", "AllAccess");
c:\program files\firefox\defaults\pref\activexFF15.js - pref("capability.policy.default.ClassID.CID86ED3659-02F6-465D-8F19-A9334614CCC3", "AllAccess");
c:\program files\firefox\defaults\pref\activexFF15.js - pref("capability.policy.default.ClassID.CID5D7F48C0-CB49-4ea6-97D4-04F4EACC2F3B", "AllAccess");
c:\program files\firefox\defaults\pref\activexFF15.js - pref("capability.policy.default.ClassID.CID4D7F48C0-CB49-4EA6-97D4-04F4EACC2F3B", "AllAccess");
c:\program files\firefox\defaults\pref\activexFF15.js - pref("capability.policy.default.ClassID.CIDA43C6FC7-09F6-4E04-B8E3-683F3BDFEF7C", "AllAccess");
c:\program files\firefox\defaults\pref\activexFF15.js - pref("capability.policy.default.ClassID.CID4C8D6404-A9F6-4236-8488-6C5732CB3BFA", "AllAccess");
============= SERVICES / DRIVERS ===============

R1 aswSP;avast! Self Protection;c:\windows\system32\drivers\aswSP.sys [2009-6-19 114768]
R2 aswFsBlk;aswFsBlk;c:\windows\system32\drivers\aswFsBlk.sys [2009-6-19 20560]
R2 avast! Antivirus;avast! Antivirus;c:\program files\alwil software\avast4\ashServ.exe [2009-6-19 138680]
R2 McrdSvc;Media Center Extender Service;c:\windows\ehome\mcrdsvc.exe [2005-8-5 99328]
R2 Viewpoint Manager Service;Viewpoint Manager Service;c:\program files\viewpoint\common\ViewpointService.exe [2008-2-5 24652]
R3 avast! Mail Scanner;avast! Mail Scanner;c:\program files\alwil software\avast4\ashMaiSv.exe [2009-6-19 254040]
R3 avast! Web Scanner;avast! Web Scanner;c:\program files\alwil software\avast4\ashWebSv.exe [2009-6-19 352920]

=============== Created Last 30 ================

2009-06-24 18:01 <DIR> --d----- c:\docume~1\kathry~1\applic~1\Malwarebytes
2009-06-24 18:00 38,160 a------- c:\windows\system32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys
2009-06-24 18:00 19,096 a------- c:\windows\system32\drivers\mbam.sys
2009-06-24 18:00 <DIR> --d----- c:\program files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
2009-06-24 18:00 <DIR> --d----- c:\docume~1\alluse~1\applic~1\Malwarebytes
2009-06-21 12:07 <DIR> --d----- c:\program files\Trend Micro
2009-06-13 13:48 119,720 a------- c:\windows\system32\SKYNETvkjyxdvu.dat
2009-06-06 12:31 <DIR> --d----- c:\program files\Microsoft WSE
2009-05-27 14:12 <DIR> --d----- c:\program files\2K Games
2009-05-26 17:18 90,112 a------- c:\windows\system32\QuickTimeVR.qtx
2009-05-26 17:18 57,344 a------- c:\windows\system32\QuickTime.qts

==================== Find3M ====================

2009-05-29 13:36 2,060,288 a------- c:\windows\system32\usbaaplrc.dll
2009-05-29 13:36 39,424 a------- c:\windows\system32\drivers\usbaapl.sys
2009-05-07 08:44 344,064 a------- c:\windows\system32\localspl.dll
2009-05-07 08:44 344,064 a------- c:\windows\system32\dllcache\localspl.dll
2009-04-28 21:56 827,392 a------- c:\windows\system32\wininet.dll
2009-04-28 21:56 827,392 a------- c:\windows\system32\dllcache\wininet.dll
2009-04-28 21:56 233,472 a------- c:\windows\system32\dllcache\webcheck.dll
2009-04-28 21:56 1,159,680 a------- c:\windows\system32\dllcache\urlmon.dll
2009-04-28 21:56 671,232 a------- c:\windows\system32\dllcache\mstime.dll
2009-04-28 21:56 105,984 a------- c:\windows\system32\dllcache\url.dll
2009-04-28 21:56 102,912 a------- c:\windows\system32\dllcache\occache.dll
2009-04-28 21:56 44,544 a------- c:\windows\system32\dllcache\pngfilt.dll
2009-04-28 21:56 3,596,288 a------- c:\windows\system32\dllcache\mshtml.dll
2009-04-28 21:56 477,696 a------- c:\windows\system32\dllcache\mshtmled.dll
2009-04-28 21:56 193,024 a------- c:\windows\system32\dllcache\msrating.dll
2009-04-28 02:05 70,656 a------- c:\windows\system32\dllcache\ie4uinit.exe
2009-04-28 02:05 13,824 -------- c:\windows\system32\dllcache\ieudinit.exe
2009-04-24 22:27 636,088 a------- c:\windows\system32\dllcache\iexplore.exe
2009-04-24 22:26 161,792 a------- c:\windows\system32\dllcache\ieakui.dll
2009-04-17 02:58 1,846,656 a------- c:\windows\system32\win32k.sys
2009-04-17 02:58 1,846,656 a------- c:\windows\system32\dllcache\win32k.sys
2009-04-15 08:26 583,168 a------- c:\windows\system32\rpcrt4.dll
2009-04-15 08:26 583,168 a------- c:\windows\system32\dllcache\rpcrt4.dll
2009-03-27 14:44 3,350 a--sh--- c:\windows\system32\KGyGaAvL.sys

============= FINISH: 21:22:02.84 ===============

And I zipped and attached the attach.txt log...I wasn't sure if you wanted it or not...

Attached Files

#5 fireman4it

fireman4it

Bleepin' Fireman

• Malware Response Team
  • 13,512 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2009 - 02:08 PM

Hello kpat1010

Install Recovery Console and Run ComboFix

Download Combofix from any of the links below, and save it to your desktop.

Link 1
Link 2
Link 3
  • Close/disable all anti-virus and anti-malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix. Refer to this page if you are not sure how.
  • Close any open windows, including this one.
  • Double click on ComboFix.exe & follow the prompts.
  • As part of it's process, ComboFix will check to see if the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed. With malware infections being as they are today, it's strongly recommended to have this pre-installed on your machine before doing any malware removal. It will allow you to boot up into a special recovery/repair mode that will allow us to more easily help you should your computer have a problem after an attempted removal of malware.
  • If you did not have it installed, you will see the prompt below. Choose YES.
  • Posted Image
  • Follow the prompts to allow ComboFix to download and install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console, and when prompted, agree to the End-User License Agreement to install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console.
**Please note: If the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is already installed, ComboFix will continue it's malware removal procedures.

Note:The Windows Recovery Console will allow you to boot up into a special recovery (repair) mode. This allows us to more easily help you
should your computer have a problem after an attempted removal of malware. It is a simple procedure that will only take a few moments of your time.
  • Once the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed using ComboFix, you should see the following message:

Posted Image
  • Click on Yes, to continue scanning for malware.
  • When finished, it will produce a report for you. Please post the contents of the log (C:\ComboFix.txt).
Leave your computer alone while ComboFix is running.
ComboFix will restart your computer if malware is found; allow it to do so.

Note: Please Do NOT mouseclick combofix's window while its running because it may cause it to stall.

Please download GMER from one of the following locations and save it to your desktop:
  • Main Mirror
    This version will download a randomly named file (Recommended)
  • Zipped Mirror
    This version will download a zip file you will need to extract first. If you use this mirror, please extract the zip file to your desktop.
  • Disconnect from the Internet and close all running programs.
  • Temporarily disable any real-time active protection so your security programs will not conflict with gmer's driver.
  • Double-click on the randomly named GMER file (i.e. n7gmo46c.exe) and allow the gmer.sys driver to load if asked.
  • Note: If you downloaded the zipped version, extract the file to its own folder such as C:\gmer and then double-click on gmer.exe.

Posted Image
  • GMER will open to the Rootkit/Malware tab and perform an automatic quick scan when first run. (do not use the computer while the scan is in progress)
  • If you receive a WARNING!!! about rootkit activity and are asked to fully scan your system...click NO.
  • Now click the Scan button. If you see a rootkit warning window, click OK.
  • When the scan is finished, click the Save... button to save the scan results to your Desktop. Save the file as gmer.log.
  • Click the Copy button and paste the results into your next reply.
  • Exit GMER and re-enable all active protection when done.
-- If you encounter any problems, try running GMER in Safe Mode.

Combofix .txt
Gmer log
DDS.txt
How is your computer running now? Any signs or symptoms of infection?

Thanks-

userbar_eis_500.gif

#6 kpat1010

kpat1010
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2009 - 05:59 PM

The computer now seems to be running fine-the warnings are gone, the icon in the quickstart menu is gone, and I can use CTRL+ALT+DEL again...there is no evidence of it in the operating of the computer...

Here are the requested logs.

Thank you...

Attached Files

• Attached File  log.txt   18.48KB   17 downloads
  • Attached File  gmer3.log   5.84KB   3 downloads
  • Attached File  DDS.txt   12.36KB   4 downloads

#7 fireman4it

fireman4it

Bleepin' Fireman

• Malware Response Team
  • 13,512 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2009 - 09:47 AM

We need to run a CFScript.

1. Close any open browsers.

2. Close/disable all anti virus and anti malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix.

3. Open notepad and copy/paste the text in the quotebox below into it:

DDS::
mURLSearchHooks: H - No File
TB: {0B53EAC3-8D69-4B9E-9B19-A37C9A5676A7} - No File
TB: {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - No File

Save this as CFScript.txt, in the same location as ComboFix.exe

Posted Image

Refering to the picture above, drag CFScript into ComboFix.exe

When finished, it shall produce a log for you at C:\ComboFix.txt which I will require in your next reply.

Please do an online scan with Kaspersky WebScanner

Click on Kaspersky Online Scanner

You will be prompted to install an ActiveX component from Kaspersky, Click Yes.
  • The program will launch and then begin downloading the latest definition files:
  • Once the files have been downloaded click on NEXT
  • Now click on Scan Settings
  • In the scan settings make that the following are selected:
    • Scan using the following Anti-Virus database:
    Extended (if available otherwise Standard)
    • Scan Options:
    Scan Archives
    Scan Mail Bases
  • Click OK
  • Now under select a target to scan:Select My Computer
  • This will program will start and scan your system.
  • The scan will take a while so be patient and let it run.
  • Once the scan is complete it will display if your system has been infected.
    • Now click on the Save as Text button:
  • Save the file to your desktop.
  • Copy and paste that information in your next post.
Hello, your log looks much better now.

Your Microsoft Windows installation is out of date.
Whenever a security problem in its software is found, Microsoft will usually create a patch for it. After the patch is installed, attackers can't use the vulnerability to install malicious software on your PC, so keeping up with these patches will help to prevent malicious software being installed on your PC
Go here to check for & install updates to Microsoft applications.
Note: The update process uses ActiveX, so you will need to use Internet Explorer for it, and allow the ActiveX control that it wants to install.

Please reboot and repeat the update process until there are no more updates to install.

Combofix.txt
Kaspersky log
How is your computer running now? Any sign or symptoms of infection?

Thanks-

userbar_eis_500.gif

#8 kpat1010

kpat1010
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2009 - 06:16 PM

Alright...there is still no external evidence of infection on my computer, but the Kaspersky scan found 2 items...Here is the requested information...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
KASPERSKY ONLINE SCANNER 7.0 REPORT
Sunday, June 28, 2009
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (build 2600)
Kaspersky Online Scanner version: 7.0.26.13
Program database last update: Sunday, June 28, 2009 22:52:59
Records in database: 2399975
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scan settings:
Scan using the following database: extended
Scan archives: yes
Scan mail databases: yes

Scan area - My Computer:
C:\
D:\
E:\
F:\
G:\
H:\
K:\

Scan statistics:
Files scanned: 115845
Threat name: 2
Infected objects: 2
Suspicious objects: 0
Duration of the scan: 01:33:59

File name / Threat name / Threats count
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{3DBD88D2-9FFC-498B-A689-A4771362F918}\RP1086\A0117257.dll Infected: Trojan.Win32.Tdss.ahyi 1
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\G9OF4V8N\SetupAdvancedVirusRemover[1].exe Infected: not-a-virus:FraudTool.Win32.AdvancedAntivirus.cd 1

The selected area was scanned.

Attached Files

#9 fireman4it

fireman4it

Bleepin' Fireman

• Malware Response Team
  • 13,512 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2009 - 03:44 PM

Hello kpat1010,

Revealin hidden files

Please set your system to show all files.
Click Start, open My Computer, select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
Select the View Tab. Under the Hidden files and folders heading, select Show hidden files and folders.
Uncheck: Hide file extensions for known file types
Uncheck the Hide protected operating system files (recommended) option.
Click Yes to confirm.
Use Windows Explorer to find and delete these files:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\G9OF4V8N\SetupAdvancedVirusRemover[1].exe

As an example:
To delete C:\WINDOWS\badfile.dll
Double click the My Computer icon on your Desktop. Or click on the Windows KEY + E.
Double click on Local Disc (C:\)
Double click on the Windows folder,
Right click on badfile.dll and then from the menu that appears, click on Delete

Hiding hidden files

Please set your system to hide all hidden files.
Click Start, open My Computer, select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
Select the View Tab. Under the Hidden files and folders heading, uncheck Show hidden files and folders.
Check: Hide file extensions for known file types
Check the Hide protected operating system files (recommended) option.
Click Yes to confirm.

Finally, please post a new DDS log, and a description of any remaining problems.

Thanks-

userbar_eis_500.gif

#10 kpat1010

kpat1010
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2009 - 03:02 PM

Alright, I was able to delete the file and I have a new DDS log. The computer seems to be running fine...

But an interesting note- I don't know if this stuff helps you in anyway, so I'll include it. After the first fix round of fixes, the computer appeared to be running fine. The Virus/Malware had changed my background picture to "Your computer is infected, etc." Well, after the first round of fixes, this was gone, but my background picture wasn't restored, the there was no background at all.

After the second round of fixes, one of my old background pictures was restored without me having to do anything. Don't know if that's significant, but thought I'd pass it along.

Attached, please find the DDS log :thumbup2:

Attached Files

• Attached File  DDS2.txt   16.36KB   2 downloads

#11 fireman4it

fireman4it

Bleepin' Fireman

• Malware Response Team
  • 13,512 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2009 - 08:44 AM

Hello kpat1010,

Download and Run OTC

We will now remove the tools we used during this fix using OTC.
  • Download OTC by OldTimer and save it to your desktop.
  • Double click Posted Image icon to start the program. If you are using Vista, please right-click and choose run as administrator
  • Then Click the big Posted Image button.
  • You will get a prompt saying "Being Cleanup Process". Please select Yes.
  • Restart your computer when prompted.
Congradulations your log is clean! :thumbup2:

For a nice list of freeware programmes in all categories, please have a look at this thread with freeware products that are regarded as useful by the users of this forum: Commonly Used Freeware Replacements.
Please also have a look at the following links, giving some advice and suggestions for preventing future infections:Now you should Set a New Restore Point to prevent possible reinfection from an old one. Some of the malware you picked up could have been saved in System Restore. Since System Restore is a protected directory, your tools can not access it to delete these bad files which sometimes can reinfect your system. Setting a new restore point AFTER cleaning your system will help prevent this and enable your computer to "roll-back" to a clean working state.

The easiest and safest way to do this is:
  • Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click "System Restore".
  • Choose the radio button marked "Create a Restore Point" on the first screen then click "Next". Give the R.P. a name then click "Create". The new point will be stamped with the current date and time. Keep a log of this so you can find it easily should you need to use System Restore.
  • Then go to Start > Run and type: Cleanmgr
  • Click "OK".
  • Click the "More Options" Tab.
  • Click "Clean Up" in the System Restore section to remove all previous restore points except the newly created one.
I recommend you regularly visit the Windows Update Site , you where lagging behind on a few of them!
  • Lots of Hacking/Trojans use the methods found (plugged by the updates) that have not been stopped by people not updating.
  • By updating your machine, you have one less headache! Posted Image
  • Update ALL Critical updates and any other Windows updates for services/programs that you use.
  • If you wish, you can also use automatic updates. This is a good thing to have if you want to be up-to-date all the time, but can also be a bit of an annoyance due to its handling and the sizes of the updates. If you wish to turn on automatic updates then you will find here is a nice little article about turning on automatic updates.
  • Note that it will download them for you, but you still have to actually click install.
  • If you do not want to have automatic updates turned on, or are on dial-up, you can always download updates seperately at: http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com.
It is also a good idea to check for the latest versions of commonly installed applications that are regularly patched to fix vulnerabilities. You can check these by visiting Secunia Software Inspector and Calendar of Updates.

Another recommend, is to download HostMan. It safeguards you with a regularly updated Hosts-file that blocks dangerous sites from opening. This adds another bit of safety while surfing the Internet. For installlation and setting up, follow these steps:
  • Double-click the Downloaded installer and install the tool to a location of your choice
  • Via the Startmenu, navigate to HostsMan and run the program.
    • Click "Hosts" in the menu
    • Click "Manage Updates" in the submenu
    • Out of the three, select atleast one of the three (I have MVPS Host as my main one)
    • Click "Add Update." After that you will only need to click on the following button to retrieve updates:
      Posted Image
  • Click the X to exit the program.
  • Note: If you were using a custom Hosts file you will need to replace any of those entries yourself.
Finally, and definitely the MOST IMPORTANT step, click on the following tutorial and follow each step listed there:

Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe and secure on the Internet

Glad I was able to help and if there any other problems related to your computer please feel free to post them in the appropriate forum. Though we help people with spyware and viruses here at BC, we also help people with other computer problems! Do not forget to tell your friends about us!

Thanks-

userbar_eis_500.gif

#12 kahdah

kahdah

• Security Colleague
  • 11,138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 09 July 2009 - 05:43 PM

Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :thumbup2:

If your the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact me via pm with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.
Please do not pm for help, post it in the forums instead.

If I am helping you and have not responded for 48 hours please send me a pm as I don't always get notifications.

My help is always free, however, if you would like to make a donation to me for the help I have provided please click here Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users