Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help installing AOL

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Mike_K

Mike_K

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 21 June 2009 - 01:50 PM

I had AOL on the computer. I uninstalled it using the control panel uninstall programs. I want to get it back. I downloaded AOL9.1 from their site and tried to install it. The computer goes through the whole install process. It then prompts me to restart. After restart I get a message "AOL will now install files. Click yes to install these files. You may be asked to restart your computer otherwise you will not be able to connect" I click yes and I am prompted to restart. I restart and get the same message again. This just goes on and on.

I tried system restore. There was an error and it did not restore properly. Now when I click to start AOL, I get the message "the snmaster.idx database file is missing. please restore this file.

What can I do to be able to get AOL back?

system info in signature

Mike
HP a6009n, windows vista home premium SP2, AMD 64X2 dual core processor 3800+, 2.00GHz, 3G ram, 32 bit operating system, AOL

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,071 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 22 June 2009 - 06:46 PM

Just an idea! Many programs do not fully uninstall using Microsoft, in the link below is a bunch of stuff about removing AOL.

http://www.google.com/search?q=AOL+removal...lient=firefox-a

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 Mike_K

Mike_K
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2009 - 08:10 PM

Thanks Phil.

Your links are for removing AOL and I am trying to re-install AOL. Are you saying I should try removing it again?

Mike
HP a6009n, windows vista home premium SP2, AMD 64X2 dual core processor 3800+, 2.00GHz, 3G ram, 32 bit operating system, AOL

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,071 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 22 June 2009 - 09:02 PM

Thanks Phil.

Your links are for removing AOL and I am trying to re-install AOL. Are you saying I should try removing it again?

Mike

Yes I posted that many program do not fully remove, you need other tools to get rid of the junk left behind. What happens is you try to do an install and it stops because it sees something left over, it is a very common thing!

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#5 Mike_K

Mike_K
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2009 - 10:15 AM

Thanks Phil

Looks like I will be reinstalling the OS. That should take care of everything.

Mike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users