Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to burn .avi and .jpg files together on one media

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 auntna

auntna

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 21 June 2009 - 12:17 PM

Hi everyone,

I need help finding a way to burn all my vacation photos and movies in order on preferably a dvd since I have so many to do. I tried Windows Movie Maker but it is a joke. It freezes all the time as I try to build the sequence and when I do try to preview an avi it is jerky and the sound goes in and out. So even if I would finally get the sequence together my avies are not going to play like they should, i'm sure. Does anyone have any advice for me?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 High500

High500

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 01 July 2009 - 06:41 AM

If movie maker is playing up for you, then the only suggestion i can give you is to buy a dvd creation software package. I have had a quick look around for any freeware, but nothing springs to mind.

try hxxp://www.videohelp.com or hxxp://www.doom9.org you may be able to find something there.

Otherwise you could buy as mentioned soemthing like:

Ulead Movie Factory
Cyberlink Power Director

if you are really have a lot of cash to splash about try:

Adobe Encore (part of the Adobe CS4 collection)

But it aint cheap!

Hope this helps!

High500

#3 auntna

auntna
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2009 - 10:00 AM

Thanks High500 for your reply, I was beginning to think that no one on Bleeping Computer was concerned about other computer issues besides operating concerns with viruses, ect. That is probably the case in reality. I should just find a forum that is only concerned with DVD programs. The only problem there is that it is hard to sift through all the technical jargon to find a simple answer to my simple question. I only want to put all my vacation photos and videos that I took with my digital camera on a DVD in the order in which they were taken so I can play them in a DVD player on my TV. I have been seeing some mention of converting the avi to a "DVD format". I'm not sure if that will solve the problem or not. In the past I had found a freeware program called DVD Flick that does a fabulous job of easily putting the avi on a DVD and playing on TV with the video and sound in sync (which is another problem i have commonly found in everything I tried). The only thing is it's not for combining both file types, only avi. Does anyone know anything about the DivX program? Will it do what I want and is this a format that will work in all DVD players?

#4 High500

High500

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2009 - 02:41 PM

You are most welcome! I have been working with audio and video for a while now and ive gone through all the pitfalls of authoring dvd compatible productions. I now do special effects and compositing for video targeting blu-ray and dvd. So i kinda got a little experience in the field but dont know it all (i wish! lol)

Divx is a proprietary format and works in "most" newer dvd players but not all. Thing is a divx is basically an avi just encoded in a different way and the dvd player must support the "divx codec" to play them. To put the movies and images in the order you want, then you must author them as a dvd movie to be honest, unless your dvd player is capable of playing files direct (ie images and avi's and mp3's etc) then there maybe a chance if you name them in such a way that they appear in the file system in order, they may play in order. But alot of dvd players have seperate menus to view images and movie files etc, so they dont interchange :/ You could author the movies and images using movie maker or another video editing package in the sequence they are required and render them out to a single divx file, which could then be playable on divx compatible dvd's

DVD authouring is not too hard with the right software. I wonder if you have tried windows movie maker? it may let you do what you desire, but again you need to author them as a movie dvd (or divx avi but see note on divx capability above) which is then playable on every dvd player that is able to read dvd-r's (which most do! but some struggle, but thats a rarity!)

Because of the nature of dvd players this is the only way to have true control over the play order and how things look. playing basic avi's that are supported, along with jpegs are an added after thought on most dvd players and dont have any real structure to how they are handled.

Hope this helps a little more

High500

#5 auntna

auntna
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2009 - 04:39 PM

High500,

I did try WMM (see my first post). No luck! I am making some progress towards my goal though. I found that I had a program called VideoImpression 2 that was included in my digital camera package. I installed it, updated and through some experimentation found the correct format to record a video of stills and avi's together that the DVD Flick program can work with and the DVD I produced plays in the dvd player. Yay! It even has some cool transition effects. I'm now trying to use the narration menu in VideoImpression to add some audio files but can't seem to find the right information there. It gives you a place to save your audio files but not a place to get one from the computer. I don't know what I am missing. Help anyone?

By the way, if anyone wants to know what settings I used that produced results just ask.

#6 High500

High500

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2009 - 05:11 PM

Sounds like you are on the right track, i will have a look into VI2 and see if i can find an answer for you.

High500

#7 auntna

auntna
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2009 - 01:45 PM

:thumbsup: High500,

I found my answer! To add a sound file for VideoImpression 2 I needed to go to the Media screen and use the open folder button to browse to my music files and open them. It is the same as when I'm adding the video clips and photos. Duh! :flowers: Don't know why it couldn't be also integrated with the Narrate screen also but I guess that would be redundant.

Well, it looks like I will have smooth sailing now and will get my project done. As a note to anyone else, I found that when I uninstalled the DivX programs that I don't need I must have lost the proper codecs. My video clips became choppy in the VI 2 program. I went to the internet and found an XP Codec Pack which also comes with Media Player Classic 6 and the installation solved the choppiness problem. It seems that a lot of issues with playback can be solved with the proper codecs.

#8 High500

High500

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2009 - 08:23 AM

Yeah codecs are great when you are using the right ones. Some perform better on one machine than another too. Glad you have sorted your issue out though, happy encoding!

High500

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users