Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Various BSOD's

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 wellzy4eva

wellzy4eva

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 21 June 2009 - 11:35 AM

Hey,

I'm trying to get a laptop working, but it having lots of problems.

every time I load up windows, it randomly crashes with different blue screens:
I have had the following BSOD's:
- PFN_LIST_CORRUPT - STOP 0x0000004E (0x0000007, 0x00000093CF, 0x00007FA7, 0x00000000
- A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
- irql_not_less_or_equal (I could not get the rest as it restarted too quickly)

And sometimes it just restarts without telling me why.

I have try to start the laptop in safe mode and remove all the drivers but it has made no difference, sometimes it also crashes in safe mode.

I have tried to re-install the graphics drivers but this made no difference.

It's a Medion 97900 laptop running Windows XP SP2, for some reason will not let me into the bios whatsoever and refuses to recognise boot up disks so I cannot reinstall/fix windows. There is also no bios updates for the laptop on the Medion website as it recommends a incorrect one (Model code is WIM 2100).

The laptop previously had spyware/malware, but it was all removed by Malware Bytes (In safe mode) and further scans have shown no spyware/malware.

Thank you in advance.

David

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 21 June 2009 - 12:10 PM

Hmmm...try uninstalling the video drivers...and then rebooting/reinstalling same.

This is supposed to be a "memory issue" but such are often caused by damaged drivers.

You might also try this route: Help Diagnosing BSODs And Crashes (BC) - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/176011/how-to-receive-help-diagnosing-blue-screens-and-windows-crashes/

Since your system boots...you might also take a look in Event Viewer for errors which approximate your BSODs or which might indicate problems contributing to your situation.

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Louis

#3 wellzy4eva

wellzy4eva
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 25 June 2009 - 03:47 AM

I uninstalled the graphics drivers but the computer keeps re-installing them at startup, I went through the Event Viewer, and it brought up the following error messages.

Application

source: crypt32
type: Error
Failed auto update retrieval of third-party root list sequence number from: <http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/en/authrootseq.txt> with error: The server name or address could not be resolved
event ID: 8

source: avira antivir
type: error
Error reading the virus definition file! Returned error code: 0x4
Event ID: 4105

source: avira antivir
type: information
The AntiVir service has been stopped!
Event ID: 4097

I uninstalled the antivirus program whilst in safe mode (The computer still blue-screens in normal mode) and restarted the system, and it crashed with a blue screen.

I uninstalled the network drivers in safe mode and restarted the system, now I get a looping windows serious error message when I rebooted:

BCCode : 1000000a BCP1 : FFD70008 BCP2 : 0000001C BCP3 : 00000000
BCP4 : 804E14BB OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 256_1

Error Report contains:

C:\DOCUME~1\Roy\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER3e83.dir00\Mini062109-46.dmp
C:\DOCUME~1\Roy\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER3e83.dir00\sysdata.xml

It makes a new temp directory and a different mini dmp every time, only after cleaning out that temp directory did it stop bringing up the error message.

I cannot update the network drivers as the drivers refuse to install in safe mode or in normal mode.

the system seems more stable now, but i still randomly got a blue screen that crashed the computer.

i downloaded the network installation edition of windows xp sp3 to see if that would help with driver compatibility or system stability, but the system blue screened at the start of it with a page_fault_in_nonpaged_area error - stop 0x50.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 25 June 2009 - 09:00 AM

My guess would be malware as the chief contributor...based on inability to connect with Windows Update, inability of AV program to run...but that's a guess founded on nothing other sheer speculation.

FWIW: General info re the error you mentioned follows.

STOP 0x0000000A: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Typically due to a bad driver, or faulty or incompatible hardware or software. See the info re General Troubleshooting of STOP Messages checklist (following this excerpt). Technically, this error condition means that a kernel-mode process or driver tried to access a memory location to which it did not have permission, or at a kernel Interrupt ReQuest Level (IRQL) that was too high. (A kernel-mode process can access only other processes that have an IRQL lower than, or equal to, its own.)

General Troubleshooting of STOP Messages
If you can’t find a specific reference to your problem, running through the following checklist stands a good chance of resolving the problem for you. This checklist is also usually the best approach to troubleshooting some specific Stop messages, such as 0x0A and 0x50.

Examine the “System” and “Application” logs in Event Viewer for other recent errors that might give further clues. To do this, launch EventVwr.msc from a Run box; or open “Administrative Tools” in the Control Panel then launch Event Viewer.

If you’ve recently added new hardware, remove it and retest.

Run hardware diagnostics supplied by the manufacturer.

Make sure device drivers and system BIOS are up-to-date.

However, if you’ve installed new drivers just before the problem appeared, try rolling them back to the older ones.

Open the case and make sure all hardware is correctly installed, well seated, and solidly connected.

Confirm that all of your hardware is on the Hardware Compatibility List. If some of it isn’t, then pay particular attention to the non-HCL hardware in your troubleshooting.

Check for viruses.

Investigate recently added software.

Examine (and try disabling) BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.

NOTE: When a STOP message occurs, Windows can create a debug file for very detailed analysis. To do this, it needs a workspace equal to the amount of physical RAM you have installed. If you resize your Win XP pagefile minimum to less than the size of your physical RAM, you will get an advisory message that your system may not be able to create a debugging information file if a STOP error occurs. My advice is to go ahead with this change if you want, but simply remember the limitation so that you can change it back if you need to troubleshoot STOP messages.

Louis

Just a note...many STOP errors refer to drivers as if only hardware devices have drivers. This is not true. Your AV program, your firewall, your malwaware defense programs, video/graphics-editing programs, and various others...all have drivers which are capable of becoming damaged/corrupt during routine and abnormal (malware, power surges, etc.) circumstances.

So these types of errors, while duly noted by the system...are difficult to troubleshoot. That's why any guidance provided is very general.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users