Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot run check disk

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jmillerfreezin up

jmillerfreezin up

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 21 June 2009 - 11:21 AM

I am trying to run a check disk to check for errors before I send a hijack this log per your site instructions.

Everytime I try to run one, it tells me that the files are in use and would I like it to run next time I restart. I said yes. Then it restarts, says a check disk has been scheduled, the check disk has been cancelled, windows has finished checking the disk.

I tried to run from safe mode with command prompt, and also by pressing f8 at start up and running through the command prompt but it says again that the files are in use and do I want to run next time I restart. I say yes, and it does the same thing and cancels the check disk. I have also tried to run it bo going to computer, OS © properties, does the same thing.

I cannot seem to figure out how to get it to run and not keep cancelling itself.

I running Vista Home Premium (as much as I hate it..... GGRRRRR!) 32 bit operating system.

Bleeping computer is right! This bleeping think is making me crazy.:-)

Thanks for any help you can give me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 21 June 2009 - 12:22 PM

Chkdsk requires exclusive access to a volume when it runs. Therefore, if one or more of the files are open on the disk that you want to check, Chkdsk displays a prompt asking if you want schedule the disk check for the next time that you restart your computer.

If you're infected, it might possibly be that the infection is not letting you run chkdsk
Open Task Manager and in the applications window, end all tasks. Then start a new task and type explorer.exe
See if you can run it then
If not, you might have to go ahead and run the HJT/DDS scan anyways
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users