Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Computer [Split topic]

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 BewareTimeIsNear

BewareTimeIsNear

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 15 May 2009 - 10:26 PM

Hi, I am running Windows XP Professional, version 2002 service pack 3. Hardware: Intel® M processor 1.60GHZ, 589 MHz, 512MB of RAM. I feel as if I have gone through all the pre-steps prior to this post. I have noticed for some time a decrease in speed not only via internet but overall operation within my pc. I have run registry defrags, cleaned up old unused programs, defragged my registry, disk etc. Managed my startup programs, insured all AVG antivirus is up to date with results of no viruses. Using spybot results as well with no spyware. It is just overall slow. I feel I am a moderate pc literate user and cannot seem to figure out exactly what would be causing this. I have researched and found that with my dell inspiron 9200 laptop that the wireless onboard driver also installs its own management application that could slow my pc down. I have managed to uninstall this and only the driver is installed. Windows now instead is managing my wireless network adapter. Is it possible my CPU processor is just to slow? I do not have a large amount of applications installed. Would someone be willing to consider looking at a HJT log? I am new to HJT however have played with it some... Any help to get started with troubleshooting would greatly be appreciated. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,807 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 20 June 2009 - 11:49 PM

Moderator bump. ~ OB
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 21 June 2009 - 11:47 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Welll..512MB of RAM is not necessarily going to allow a very zippy laptop, IMO.

HJT logs are for troubleshooting malware...not for attempted system diagnostics.

I'm of the opinion that AVG AV might slow a system down somewhat...but I can't substantiate that opinion with any evidence.

If you want to post a HJT log...please post it in the appropriate forum here at BC.

Worth reading, note the comments by Quietman (who also frequents this website) regarding HJT: http://www.theeldergeek.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=30230

BleepingComputer.com - HijackThis Logs and Virus-Trojan-Spyware-Malware Removal - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users