Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Badly Infected - Unable to cleanup [Moved]

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Ganindar

Ganindar

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 20 June 2009 - 11:26 PM

Hi - My friend came to me today and asked me to try to fix his computer for him. Usually I am able to resolve simple computer issues or minor infections, but my gosh I have no idea what he has going on here. After messing around with task manager and ending processes and editing the startup, I was able to access the internet. Once on the internet, I downloaded Ad-Aware, Avast Antivirus, and Zonealarm Firewall. I ran the scanbs and they were finding viruses but nothing seems to have gone away. I came here and read the "Read First" post. It prompted me to download and run DDS. I tried running the script, and the command prompt came up with the blurb and then it says "The batch file cannot be found."

Symptoms
1) Clicking on any link in google redirects me to webtoolright.com where it shows me their search results to download, im assuming, infected files.
2) There is no "Folder Options" option from the drop down menus while viewing folders. I found the registry that disables this and tried removing it, but it keeps coming back.
3) I can't open registry editor. I can manually type in the registry edit into Start -> Run and than open registry editor, but after some amount of time the registry editor gets blocked again.
4) The computer is also very, very sluggish. I am expecting it to be from these viruses
5) I discovered that the two processes that kept changing the registry back were lsass.exe located in the temp directory, and winamp.exe.

I know I have not given much information because I can't get DDS to run, but I am not familiar with DDS and what may be going wrong. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by The weatherman, 21 June 2009 - 04:55 AM.
Moved from hjt to a more appropriate forum. TW

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 24 June 2009 - 07:09 AM

Hi Ganindar,

To begin with, please see if you can do the following:

Step 1: AFT Cleaner

If you're running XP, please run ATF cleaner according to the following instructions. If you're using Vista, please skip this step and continue with step 2.

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune & save it to your desktop.

• Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
  • Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose: Select All.
  • Click the Empty Selected button.
  • If you use Firefox browser click Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
    If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
  • If you use Opera browser click Opera at the top and choose: Select All
    If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
  • Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
Note: On Vista, "Windows Temp" is disabled. To empty "Windows Temp" ATF-Cleaner must be "Run as an Administrator".

Step 2: MalwareBytes

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
MalwareBytes

MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you. Temporarily disable security programs or permit them to allow the changes.

• Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the definition updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Full Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.
  • Exit MBAM when done.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be asked to reboot your computer so MBAM can proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

Step 3: Then perform an onlinescan with Panda Active Scan 2.0

Note: You can only run this scan with Internet Explorer with Active X enabled.

Panda Online- Once you are on the Panda site click the Scan your PC button
- A new window will open...click the Check Now button
- Enter your Country
- Enter your State/Province
- Enter your e-mail address and click send
- Select either Home User or Company
- Click the big Scan Now button
- If it wants to install an ActiveX component allow it
- It will start downloading the files it requires for the scan (Note: It may take a couple of minutes)
- When download is complete, click on Local Disks to start the scan
- When the scan completes, if anything malicious is detected, click the See Report button
- Save Report and save it to a convenient location.
Post the contents of the Panda scan report.

Step 4: Please post the logs.MalwareBytes
ActiveScan by Panda
Let me know how this went?
Zllio

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users