Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RAM UPGRADE

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 brfb34

brfb34

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 20 June 2009 - 08:16 PM

Hey Guys,

I also have an IBook G4 from 2002. I like the computer but I can't do stuff like watch youtube video's, or anything that requires a video, very well. It just plays really choppy (choppily?.. haha), sometimes pausing for a few seconds at a time before moving on in the video.

I don't know much about computers so i'm gonna give a run down of the specs, maybe this will help with the question.
(Sorry for any superfluous info....) :thumbsup:

Power PC 750
CPU Speed 800mhz
L2 Cache (per cpu) 512mb
Bus Speed 100mhz

harddrive
DIMMO 128mb
DIMM1/J12 512mb

and the memory is -- 640mb sdram

So basically my problem is that I would like to have videos play faster and smoother. Can I accomplish this by adding more RAM to the computer?

I was reading that it is possible to put too much RAM in a computer, is 640mb the limit for this computer?

Any advice would be great.

Thanks -- Brian

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 20 June 2009 - 08:22 PM

Yes, more RAM would help, if you are referring to playing videos which are placed on the hard drive or rely on the system (as a DVD disk).

IF you are merely talking about videos online...your network connection capability plays some part. Using dialup for online videos...never worked for me (in those days) due to lack of bandwidth. With broadband, it's no problem.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users