Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Pro boots, but screen loses signal after load screen

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 DnDer

DnDer

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 20 June 2009 - 05:50 PM

I've not made any recent changes to my hardware. It boots, shows the loading bar, then flickers and changes resolution slightly (nothing unusual, since it's a 19" monitor, widescreen) and then the monitor tells me "no signal."

Booting into safe mode DOES work, where I reset the resolution to something more standardized (like 1280), but it has no impact on the boot. I can't figure out what's up or where to start looking...

Suggestions, please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,820 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 20 June 2009 - 06:41 PM

Sounds like a driver needs to be replaced, IMO.

I would boot into safe mode and uninstall the video driver...then reboot.

Louis

#3 DnDer

DnDer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2009 - 08:00 PM

The video driver might be part of the motherboard chipset -- I'm using onboard nvidia geforce 8300 -- is that going to impact anything else if I remove that set of drivers?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,820 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2009 - 08:16 PM

Not if you do exactly as I stated.

If you choose not to boot, the video should may degrade to the default video drivers which are installed when entering safe mode.

If your question was meant to inquire whether all video would be lost...no.

If you are asking if video drivers impact the audio or the NIC, et alia...not normally.

Louis

#5 DnDer

DnDer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2009 - 08:50 PM

One step forward, one back.

I can log in and do have video again. However, after reinstalling the video drivers from the motherboard CD, I have something like 12 or 13 unusuable resolutions. I can use up to 1024x768, but they're all garbage on my widescreen monitor.

The original native resolution (which was originally achieved either with the monitor or video drivers, I'm not sure which - but the monitor IS being detected correctly by Windows and the nvidia tools for resolution) of 900x1440 Is just as bad as anything else.

Progress is progress and I shouldn't complain. So, let's look forward to the next step and be assertive and confident. How do I enable a viewable resolution on my monitor?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,820 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2009 - 11:27 AM

Well...that sounds llike a driver problem (again).

The monitor should be set for the recommended default resolution (as detailed in the instructions), while it's the video driver which controls the resolution combinations possible for the system.

System manufacturer and model, please?

To set the resolution...you don't have to do anything other than...right-click on the desktop in a blank space, Properties, Settings tab...adjust the resolution via the Screen Resolution slide.

If that fails, try a downloaded driver for video (from the system manufacturer's website).

Louis

#7 DnDer

DnDer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2009 - 12:04 PM

Video is Nvidia GeForce 8300, integrated onto the motherboard (Asus M3N72-Pro)

Monitor is Acer AL1916W, 19" widescreen

EDITS:
- I had to use the VGA adapter to the motherboard, since the monitor has no HDMI cables (or capability, it seems)
- The system is dual-boot with Ubuntu 9.04 on it, where I'm having similar problems, despite having the right drivers installed.

(high resolution, but not widescreen aspect ratio)

Edited by DnDer, 21 June 2009 - 12:39 PM.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,820 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2009 - 12:22 PM

I found the board at the Asus site (nothing via Google...very strange).

http://support.asus.com/download/download....SLanguage=en-us

Louis

#9 DnDer

DnDer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2009 - 07:18 PM

Which one? The link you gave me just shipped to the "pick a download" portion of Asus' website.

I see several nForce listings, but no GeForce listings. The nForce ones are listed under "chipset." I don't see a "video" section. =\

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,820 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2009 - 07:42 PM

Put in your motherboard data...and it should take you to data relative to your board.

It's there, I saw it.

Louis

#11 DnDer

DnDer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2009 - 07:46 PM

Motherboard > Socket AM2/AM2+/AM3 > M3N78 Pro > XP

Qualified Vendor List (1)
BIOS (9) [BIOS History]
BIOS-Utilities (2)
Chipset (4)
AUDIO (4)
Utilities (16)
SATA (1)
Others (2)
Manual (11)

#12 DnDer

DnDer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2009 - 08:09 PM

Just reinstalled the Acer monitor management software. It was what originally helped configure and set my display properties... (Sorry, I didn't remember before now. I thought it was just documentation.) But it's not worked. My resolution has increased to 1024, but it's still not the correct widescreen - even the software says I'm at a non-preferred resolution, but it won't configure to it, like it's supposed to automatically.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users