Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Vista Downgrade Question

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Spoonman

Spoonman

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 20 June 2009 - 03:23 PM

Hello.

I have a license for Windows Vista Business Class, and I want to downgrade to Windows XP.

However, my understanding is that for some reason, you can only downgrade to XP Pro rather than Home, which means you need to have valid XP Pro media and an XP Pro license key.

I do not have an XP Pro disk, but here is what I do have:

- A valid XP Pro license key
- A hard drive image that has XP Pro installed
- XP Home media (system builder hologram disk) and license key

Is there any way I can make this happen with what I have??

For example, is there any way to build an XP Pro disk from an install on a harddrive?

Or is it possible to use an XP Pro license with XP Home, and would doing so fool the activation process into thinking I was using a copy of Pro?

I know both of those things are longshots, but I thought I'd ask.

I have a friend who has an XP Pro disk I could use for the installation, but I have no idea how long it will take to get it from them since they've been incredibly busy lately and they don't know where it is offhand.

I've thought about "finding" a copy "somewhere" since I'd be using it legally, but I couldn't trust the integrity of whatever I "found".

Basically, if there's anyway I could make this downgrade happen using the things I currently have, and someone could tell me how, that would be fantastic.

And just to head off Vista questions/comments/encouragement - thanks anyway, but I'm certain that I'm not interested in using Vista (I'd have to upgrade my system just to make it very usable anyway).

Thanks a lot for your help in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Spoonman

Spoonman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 21 June 2009 - 02:49 PM

bump

0 user(s) are reading this topic