Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Speaker issue

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 zyrolasting

zyrolasting

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 20 June 2009 - 03:16 PM

Hey guys. Just diagnostic stuff, so stick around if you are interested in playing a speaker doctor for a bit. :thumbsup:

My left speaker started giving off a raspy cackle.

I thought "codec" before I noticed the problem was just with the left speaker.
It's worst during dialog on TV shows on my HD or on other "midway" sounds. I was actually able to listen to two songs so far from my HD that actually had no noticeable crackle on any volume. I think it's hardware, but I need to know what to do about it, if anything. Replacing the speaker is kind of a scary thought since a tech support rep had told me that they are not sold seperately... A new sound system is needed. No, the tech support rep wasn't any help. In fact, I plan to keep myself from calling there for a while.

Other info

- Crackle goes away below about %40 volume, changed by a few combination of hardware and software volume controls. I felt like a mixer for a second.

- 3 inch drop has no effect. Neither does 6 inch. Resisting urge to drop it off roof.

- WinXP SP3

- PC's clean of malware.

- I think my sound drivers are Realtek R223. Let me know if that's the wrong naming scheme or something. It is a Realtek HD sound system, but I don't know how to find the model no. on these. Never bothered to look, and I don't want to enter my Cable Labyrinth unless I have to.

Thanks!
-Zy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2009 - 09:44 PM

Hook the right speaker into the left jack and see if the problem is still there through the different speaker
If it went away, you have a bad speaker
If it's still there then it's the card or driver
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 zyrolasting

zyrolasting
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2009 - 12:54 PM

Thanks so much for the info!

As it turns out, the speaker originally mentioned actually started sputtering and stopped giving output altogether while the others kept working fine. Swapping jacks does not change this fact. Well, damn.

Anyway, thanks again.

-Zy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users