Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tryin to reformat computer

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 mixedcolors

mixedcolors

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 20 June 2009 - 02:59 PM

I'm trying to reformat my computer and when I put the OP cd in and restart my computer nothing happens. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 20 June 2009 - 03:36 PM

Have you set the CD to boot up on startup? Make sure you enter your CMOS settings (setup function at the start when you restart your computer) and make sure under the boot order, CD-ROM precedes Hard-drive.

My website: http://aommaster.com
unite_blue.png
Please do not send me PM's requesting for help. The forums are there for a reason : )
If I am helping you and do not respond to your thread for 48 hours, please send me a PM

#3 mixedcolors

mixedcolors
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2009 - 03:39 PM

How do I do that? I tried going into F12 but I couldn't find where to set up the drive.

#4 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,294 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2009 - 03:58 PM

Hi!

F12 is one way of booting through CD, although note that it is not permanent (it's usually used for a one-time thing).

To set this up permanently (recommended for reformatting), reboot your computer. You'll need to act fast now. Each computer is different. You should see a message say "Press {} to enter setup" where {} could be a variety of key combinations. From there, you'll be able to assign the boot order.

unite_blue.png
Please do not send me PM's requesting for help. The forums are there for a reason : )
If I am helping you and do not respond to your thread for 48 hours, please send me a PM

#5 mixedcolors

mixedcolors
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2009 - 05:49 PM

I found where to set up the boot mode but it still didn't work. I don't know what I am doing wrong.

#6 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,294 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2009 - 06:03 PM

Hi!

Firstly, make sure that you've actually saved the settings in your setup menu. The options can get a little confusing, so make sure that isn't the case.

Second, what kind of CD are you using to do the reformat? Is it original?

unite_blue.png

#7 mixedcolors

mixedcolors
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2009 - 06:14 PM

I know I saved the settings but I can check again.

I have the original installation disc for dell. Under the title it says Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 with update rollup 2.

The other cds I have are all the drivers and content.

#8 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,294 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2009 - 06:21 PM

Hi!

Okay, let's go back to this:

How do I do that? I tried going into F12 but I couldn't find where to set up the drive.

When you pressed F12, it pulled up a boot order options menu. Was the CD-ROM drive not present there?

unite_blue.png

#9 mixedcolors

mixedcolors
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2009 - 06:26 PM

I wrote down the menu that I get when I push f12:

1. Normal
2. Diskette Drive
3. Hard Disk Drive C:
4. IDE CD-Rom Device
5. System Setup < This is where I found the boot setup.
6. IDE Drive Diagnostic
7. Boot To Utility Partical

Then when I click on boot set up, the little menu that comes up is this

IDE CD Rom
Hard Disc
Diskette Dive

That is the order I have it in now.

Edited by mixedcolors, 20 June 2009 - 06:29 PM.

#10 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,294 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2009 - 06:34 PM

IDE CD Rom
Hard Disc
Diskette Dive

This is good, since it tells the computer to look at your CD-ROM drive first for bootup.

Try this:
Push F12 to get the menu again and then select CD-ROM drive. Does the computer not boot through the CD?

unite_blue.png

#11 mixedcolors

mixedcolors
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2009 - 06:36 PM

It just won't do anything, it boots normally and starts right back into windows.

Edited by mixedcolors, 20 June 2009 - 06:37 PM.

#12 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,294 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2009 - 06:43 PM

That's strange, because if I understand correctly, that indicates that the CD is not bootable.

Brings me to my next question:
1.Are you sure the CD is bootable? Have you tried it before? Have you tried booting it on other computers?
2.I can see this:

Diskette Dive

This diskette drive, is it a floppy drive? Perhaps you want to create a windows 98 startup disk so that you can boot into DOS. From there, you can format your computer and you should be able to reinstall XP from the CD (don't do this yet, as I'll need to look into this a bit further to make sure that is possible)

unite_blue.png

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 20 June 2009 - 06:45 PM

System manufacturer...and model?

Louis

#14 mixedcolors

mixedcolors
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2009 - 06:45 PM

Actually its not my disc its someone else's but they have the same computer dell and XP, so I didn't think it would matter. We both have the same discs, I have the other ones I just didn't have the OP CD.

I don't know what that diskette drive is, that's all it says.

Edited by mixedcolors, 20 June 2009 - 06:46 PM.

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 20 June 2009 - 06:50 PM

<<Actually its not my disc its someone else's but they have the same computer dell and XP, so I didn't think it would matter.>>

Unless Dell has gone to one generic set of disks for Dell systems...it probably matters.

If it's not too much trouble...take a look at the system. Somewhere obvious, it should indicate the model (e.g., Inspiron 123, Dimension 456, etc.). It would be helpful to know what model you have.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users