Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

May I uninstall service pack 3 and reinstall it?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 heffer

heffer

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 20 June 2009 - 12:15 PM

I had scanned and found several malware so i deleted each registry key that it showed me. the scaner was not free and it only scanned for free so i used the info to delete each bad item. i learn from my mistake that was unwise. next time i use the software to quarentine and wait a week or so to see that nothing was damaged then delete it.
there are trojans were password and keyloggers and i was in a hurry to rid them and try to keep my privacy on my computer. i am still finding stuff- it seems ot be in layers. i have an issue with "listening" on a port, this concerns me.
i feel my private info is being spied on. for a while my computer seemed a ctive while i slept. i feel there is a spy downloading my info. how can i check ports, and fix?

now it runs slow and after a few minutes online the pages load real slow

i wanted to tune up my pc and rid malware and make it faster but now its slower. but i got rid several malware.

there were invisible files too that i used many scanners and articles to rid them by covert surgical cleaning, that was fun! and it did remove the problem that kept making registry entries rewrite themselves.

so now my IE8 and xp is not right. i dont have my info backed up as i dont know how to burn a cd rom and i tried with disc i bought but they disc may be the wrong type. i have no idea what the right type of blank cd is or how to burn a cd. i had burned cds a coupel times so i know my cd rom works but i cant replicate this task. i aslo do not have xp on disc as i bought my pc used and this is how it came, with XP home edition.

i had many malware and spend months fixing little by little and trying to learn. so i dont want to restore point as i would just be returning to some error issue i had a few weels ago. right now i can get online and the firefox is ok and ie8 is slow.

firefox was bad but then i updated it and now it seems ok. i am using auslogics i really like but im no expert. and i use malware bytes.

i am using nod32 but will uninstall it and i aslo will uninstall my a squared. i got ad aware and i plan to get spybot s & d. does that seem advisable thanks
i had already installed service pack 3 so can i reinstall it?

best regards

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 20 June 2009 - 02:25 PM

If you can uninstall it...it can be reinstalled.

FWIW: Uninstalling SP3 or installing SP3...is not going to overcome any malware issues on a system.

Louis

#3 KamakaZ

KamakaZ

• Members
  • 739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 20 June 2009 - 07:21 PM

Sounds like a complete reinstall would be best for you. Who knows what vital registry keys you may have deleted without knowing! I would suggest finding a XP Home disc and reinstalling. Uninstalling SP3 will not solve your problem.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that can read binary, and those who can't.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users