Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll - error loading

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kool808

kool808

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 04 July 2005 - 05:02 AM

Hi guys, Im new to this forum!

I am running on dual boot Win 98 SE and Win XP Pro, 40Gb, P4 1.7Ghz, GeForce 2 MX/400, Epox Motherboard.

Recently I am having a problem booting up my Win 98 SE. During startup I am receiving a couple of Error Dialog Box "Error loading powrprof.dll, a dynamic link library (DLL) initialization routine failed." and "The POWRPROF.DLL file cannot start. Check the file to determine the problem."

In my control panel, I do not have an icon for Power Management. In my Shutdown dialog box, I do not have my Standby option. The colors on my icons are a bit in poor quality, however I can see in my settings that it is High 16bit.

Things I have done:
  • Run System file checker, replace all altered files. Replace rundll.exe, rundll32.exe, powrprof.dll
  • Update my Epox Motherboard drivers
  • Update my GeForce graphics card drivers.
  • Ran these programs with latest updates: Ad-Aware, Spybot, CWShredder, CleanUp, SpySweeper, Trojan Hunter (ALL CLEAN)
  • Had an online AV scan with : BitDefender and Trend Micro (Found a few worms, did not cleaned it so I was forced to used KillBox)
  • Ran Tune-Up Utilities, to clean my registry
  • Edited my registry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\VCOMM\EnablePowerManagement
    from 00 00 00 00 00 to 10 00 00 00 00
  • HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies are all cleared from bogus things.
I still am getting the persistent error message box after doing all that. When I boot to Win XP everything is fine including the color settings to all accounts.

Please I need help. Thank you very much.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 05 July 2005 - 07:54 PM

Try the steps in the following Microsoft Support site.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q188213/

You can also download DLL files from the following website.
http://www.dll-files.com/

Let us know how you made out.
JC

#3 kool808

kool808
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2005 - 05:10 AM

Run System file checker, replace all altered files. Replace rundll.exe, rundll32.exe, powrprof.dll

I had already done that. First I replaced my powrprof.dll from my CD, still encountering the same error. I downloaded the .dll file from http://www.dll-files.com/ I encountered another error.

==================================================
POWRPROF.DLL from my Win 98 SE CD
File Version: 5.00.0910.1900
File Size: 24.0KB (24,576 bytes)
Created: Friday, April 23, 1999 10:22:00 PM

Error: "Error loading powrprof.dll, a dynamic link library (DLL) initialization routine failed." and "The POWRPROF.DLL file cannot start. Check the file to determine the problem."

POWRPROF.DLL from http://www.dll-files.com/
File Version: 6.00.2600.0000 (xpclient.010817-1148)
File Size: 14.5KB (14,848 bytes)
Created: Tuesday, August 28, 2001 2:00:00 PM

Error: "The POWRPROF.DLL file is linked to a missing export ADVAPI32.DLL - RegOpenCurrentUser" and "Error loading powrprof.dll. A device attached to the system is not functioning"

#4 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 06 July 2005 - 08:26 PM

Not sure about this one....

POWRPROF.DLL from http://www.dll-files.com/
File Version: 6.00.2600.0000 (xpclient.010817-1148)

Perhaps you should go back to the 98 version. This one looks like is for XP.

Have you reset all of you BIOS setting back to defaults, and checked your power management setting in your BIOS, what are they set at?

What are you using your 98 boot partition for? I might have got you to do an install on top of your current installation of 98, but your dual boot option rules that out...for me..

This comment has me a bit concerned...

# Had an online AV scan with : BitDefender and Trend Micro (Found a few worms, did not cleaned it so I was forced to used KillBox)

What exactly did it find?
Do you also have all the Windows 98 updates installed?
JC

#5 kool808

kool808
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2005 - 05:40 AM

In the BIOS, I LOAD FAIL-SAFE DEFAULTS and LOAD OPTIMIZED DEFAULTS. Still encountering the same problem.

Where can I download powrprof.dll for Win 98?

In my control panel, I do not have an icon for Power Management. In my Shutdown dialog box, I do not have my Standby option. The colors on my icons are a bit in poor quality, eventhough I can see in my settings that it is set to High 16bit.

Can I re-install it back? I think this must be causing the trouble.

I am a trainee from another malware removal website and I know how to read my HJT logs as well as determine the presence of a malware. I know my system is clean of malwares.

The worms that online AV scans detected were just a piece of installers from TryMedia (bookworm-dm game setup .exe, gamespack-dm setup .exe, a game ROM for my project64 emulator .zip)

By the way I made my system as a dual boot to simulate the effects of malwares so I can learn from them and make fixes for it, both for different OS on Win XP and Win 9x.

I really appreciate helps, advices, tips and opinions you can share with me. :thumbsup:

Edited by kool808, 07 July 2005 - 05:41 AM.

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 07 July 2005 - 06:31 AM

Go to Start>Run> and type in msconfig. In the box that pops up go to the Startup tab and uncheck Load Power Profile and the error should go away. There is a bug in 98 that may cause it to be listed twice.

This is not a Bios problem, its a 98 problem so XP is not effected.

Edited by Leurgy, 07 July 2005 - 06:33 AM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#7 kool808

kool808
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2005 - 10:17 AM

Thanks for the reply.

I have already done that, unchecked the 2 startup entry for LoadPowerProfile. Still getting errors.

My questions are: why is my Power Management icon missing in the Control Panel, also that the the Standby option in the Shutdown dialog box is missing? The colors of my desktop icon is gibberish and in poor quality.

Many thanks to you guys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users