Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Entry Level Video Card

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Off Top

Off Top

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 04 July 2005 - 04:51 AM

Hi,

I'm building my own for PC for the first time, and I've been making some progress. I learned as much as I could about RAM, and putting together PCs.

So far, I've decided to get a ASUS P4P800SE Intel mobo, a P4 3.0E Prescott 800MHz processor, and Kingston 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) for the RAM.

First I need some opinions on these choices. I'm 95% sure they're all compatible. Crucial.com isn't showing otherwise.

Second, now I need to figure out what video card to get. I won't be using this PC for gaming, just web browsing/Photoshop/watching avi's... I need a cheap, entry level video card that's reliable.

Third, with this mobo/ram/proc, will I need special cooling, or will a regular case and fan do the job?

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 efizzer

efizzer

• Members
  • 360 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 04 July 2005 - 09:12 AM

You're good with compatability, personally, I think if you're doing graphics, i'd work with AMD, but to each his own.

I understand that you're doing graphics, you may not want to slide with a low-end Vid Card. High end is right out... try mid range. What's your spending cap?

As far as cooling, if you're not overclocking, and you're not a gaming freak, a nice Thermaltake cooling fan and maybe a case fan or two would work.
Posted Image

We're going to make the merry-go-round go faster, so everyone needs to hang on tighter-just to keep from being thrown to the wolves.

#3 Off Top

Off Top
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2005 - 12:24 PM

20-40 is my price range. My current PC has a 64<B video card, and I'm happy with it. I'm considering going up to 128 though.

And I hear a lot of good and bad about AMD. I'm just sticking with Intel for now, since I've been using Dells for the past 5 years and never had any problems. Going from a P4 2.00 with 512 RAM, to a 3.00 with 1GB of RAM.

#4 Off Top

Off Top
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2005 - 12:44 PM

This thermaltake site has a lot of cool cases...where are the prices though?

#5 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 04 July 2005 - 06:26 PM

u might wanna check this site for thermaltake cases Thermaltake Cases

as for a vid card u can go with the Radeon X700 series or the nVidia GeForce FX series, but as efizzer said "to each his own."

glad i could help

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#6 efizzer

efizzer

• Members
  • 360 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 04 July 2005 - 06:46 PM

As the prices go, i'd look at the item, then see if newegg has the item.. don't try to buy straight from thermaltake.
Posted Image

We're going to make the merry-go-round go faster, so everyone needs to hang on tighter-just to keep from being thrown to the wolves.

#7 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 05 July 2005 - 01:39 PM

As the prices go, i'd look at the item, then see if newegg has the item.. don't try to buy straight from thermaltake.

yea what efizzer said

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users