Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

im not quite sure how to describe this?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 booya

booya

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 20 June 2009 - 09:49 AM

i dont know what to call this since theres no pop up or anything that tells me what kind of virus this is....anyway i would normally use the search function here on bleepingcomputer for the answer but unfortunately i have no clue what to look for...

whenever i search in google it redirects me to something else...a blank page mostly and on the tab it says "Jumping" and this is the link "http://ss-search.com/?q=wtf"

i have no idea on what to search for to get this fixed...so help would be greatly appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 booya

booya
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2009 - 10:25 AM

aww hell i rebooted the comp and all the icons and the task bar was gone...but i was able to get it back by alt ctrl delete and opened up a file so i can get the icons and taskbar back...

EDIT: oh god i cant get some of my steam games to run! im in a middle of Fall Out 3 :thumbsup: i dont want to start over again...please i think the virus is effecting running games through steam

Edited by booya, 20 June 2009 - 06:04 PM.

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,404 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2009 - 08:16 PM

Welcome to the forum.
Since you have a desktop without icons, first of all, do below

Open Task Manager (Ctrl + Alt + Del) and go to File >> New Task (Run...) >> type explorer.exe >> Enter

Then, do a search for your explorer.exe via your search function..

You may find the copy of explorer.exe via either of below locations..

C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386\explorer.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\explorer.exe

Just choose either one of them and copy/paste it to C:\WINDOWS folder..

Next run MBAM (MalwareBytes):

NOTE: Before saving MBAM please rename it to zztoy.exe....now save it to your desktop.

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2

MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you. Temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the definition updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.
  • Exit MBAM when done.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be asked to reboot your computer so MBAM can proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 booya

booya
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2009 - 09:15 PM

here you go...im staying up all night if i have to in order to get this fixed!

System:
Microsoft Windows XP
Professional
Version 2002
Service Pack 3

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.38
Database version: 2317
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

6/20/2009 10:14:16 PM
mbam-log-2009-06-20 (22-14-16).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 87165
Time elapsed: 4 minute(s), 38 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 1
Registry Keys Infected: 6
Registry Values Infected: 2
Registry Data Items Infected: 2
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 9

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:
c:\program files\driver\driver.dll (Trojan.Agent) -> Delete on reboot.

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\driver (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\driver (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\driver (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\driverdrv (Trojan.Downloader) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\driverdrv (Trojan.Downloader) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\driverdrv (Trojan.Downloader) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SvcHost\driver (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\StandardProfile\GloballyOpenPorts\List\8085:tcp (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\FirewallDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
c:\program files\driver\driver.dll (Trojan.Agent) -> Delete on reboot.
c:\documents and settings\administrator\local settings\Temp\ro_1245524995.exe (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
c:\WINDOWS\9g2234wesdf3dfgjf23 (Worm.KoobFace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\bf23567.dat (Worm.KoobFace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\driver\driver.sys (Trojan.Downloader) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\010112010146118114.dat (Worm.KoobFace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\010112010146118114.lso (Worm.KoobFace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
c:\WINDOWS\0101120101465452.lso (Worm.KoobFace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
c:\WINDOWS\0101120101465452.dat (Worm.KoobFace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Edited by booya, 20 June 2009 - 09:20 PM.

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,404 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2009 - 09:32 PM

Ok booya, we got som e junk on here,but we can kill it.

Next run ATF and SAS:

Note: On Vista, "Windows Temp" is disabled. To empty "Windows Temp" ATF-Cleaner must be "Run as an Administrator".

From your regular user account..
Download Attribune's ATF Cleaner and then SUPERAntiSpyware

, Free Home Version. Save both to desktop ..
DO NOT run yet.
Open SUPER from icon and install and Update it
Under Scanner Options make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
Close browsers before scanning.
Scan for tracking cookies.
Terminate memory threats before quarantining
Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen and exit the program. DO NOT run yet.

Now reboot into Safe Mode: How to enter safe mode(XP)
Using the F8 Method
Restart your computer.
When the machine first starts again it will generally list some equipment that is installed in your machine, amount of memory, hard drives installed etc. At this point you

should gently tap the F8 key repeatedly until you are presented with a Windows XP Advanced Options menu.
Select the option for Safe Mode using the arrow keys.
Then press enter on your keyboard to boot into Safe Mode

Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose: Select All.
Click the Empty Selected button.

If you use Firefox or Opera browser click that browser at the top and choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program

NOW Scan with SUPER
Open from the desktop icon or the program Files list
On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
Perform a Complete scan. After scan,Verify they are all checked.
Click OK on the summary screen to quarantine all found items.
If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes" and reboot normally.

To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log.
A text file will open in your default text editor.
Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
Click Close to exit the program.

Next
Rerun MBAM like this:

Open MBAM in normal mode and click Update tab, select Check for Updates,when done
click Scanner tab,select Quick scan and scan.
After scan click Remove Selected, Post new scan log and Reboot into normal mode.

Please ask any needed questions,post 2 logs and Let us know how the PC is running now.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 booya

booya
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2009 - 11:52 PM

im getting an "MOM.exe application error" each time a boot up but i think that maybe from ati...ive googled so it may stem from there...not sure though

as i said im staying up till i get this fixed...

here are the logs

SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log
http://www.superantispyware.com

Generated 06/21/2009 at 00:31 AM

Application Version : 4.26.1004

Core Rules Database Version : 3949
Trace Rules Database Version: 1891

Scan type : Complete Scan
Total Scan Time : 01:35:15

Memory items scanned : 252
Memory threats detected : 0
Registry items scanned : 5326
Registry threats detected : 0
File items scanned : 191215
File threats detected : 4

Trojan.Agent/Gen-MSFake
C:\PROGRAM FILES\CAMFROG\CAMFROG VIDEO CHAT\MSVCRT.DLL
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MANYCAM 2.4\MSVCRT.DLL
C:\SYSTEM VOLUME INFORMATION\_RESTORE{4E70E665-EABA-454B-A988-663BFAF142FC}\RP300\A0064940.DLL

Trojan.Agent/Gen-FraudDrop
C:\SYSTEM VOLUME INFORMATION\_RESTORE{4E70E665-EABA-454B-A988-663BFAF142FC}\RP337\A0072622.EXE

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.38
Database version: 2317
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

6/21/2009 12:45:18 AM
mbam-log-2009-06-21 (00-45-18).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 83810
Time elapsed: 2 minute(s), 42 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 6

Memory Processes Infected:

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
c:\WINDOWS\Temp\VRT5.tmp (Trojan.Downloader) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
c:\WINDOWS\system32\2.tmp (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
c:\WINDOWS\system32\4.tmp (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
c:\WINDOWS\system32\6.tmp (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
c:\WINDOWS\system32\7.tmp (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
c:\WINDOWS\system32\8.tmp (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,404 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2009 - 12:04 AM

This looks pretty good now. How is it running.

Ate you getting a "Cannot find...", "Could not run...", "Error loading... or "specific module could not be found" message

#8 booya

booya
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2009 - 12:05 AM

hmm im getting "your computer might be at risk" pop up on the lower right corner...dunno if that means anything...

and yea as soon as i boot up i get the "mom.exe application failed to initialize properly"

its running good...no more redirects when i search google

Edited by booya, 21 June 2009 - 12:07 AM.

#9 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,404 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2009 - 12:23 AM

Most likely it was an ATI card file that may have become corrupt. Try thesse next. I'll look back tomorrow.

Its not unusual to receive such an error after using specialized fix tools.
A "Cannot find...", "Could not run...", "Error loading... or "specific module could not be found" message is usually related to malware that was set to run at startup
but has been deleted. Windows is trying to load this file but cannot locate it since the file was mostly likely removed during an anti-virus or anti-malware scan. However,
an associated orphaned registry entry remains and is telling Windows to load the file when you boot up. Since the file no longer exists, Windows will display an error
message. You need to remove this registry entry so Windows stops searching for the file when it loads.

To resolve this, download Autoruns, search for the related entry and then delete it.
Create a new folder on your hard drive called AutoRuns (C:\AutoRuns) and extract (unzip) the file there. (click

here if you're not sure how to do this.)
Open the folder and double-click on autoruns.exe to launch it.
Please be patient as it scans and populates the entries.
When done scanning, it will say Ready at the bottom.
Scroll through the list and look for a startup entry related to the file(s) in the error message.
Right-click on the entry and choose delete.
Reboot your computer and see if the startup error returns.

Please run part 1 of S!Ri's SmitfraudFix
Please download SmitfraudFix

Double-click SmitfraudFix.exe
Select option #1 - Search by typing 1 and press "Enter"; a text file will appear, which lists infected files (if present).
Please copy/paste the content of that report into your next reply.

Note : process.exe is detected by some antivirus programs (AntiVir, Dr.Web, Kaspersky) as a "RiskTool"; it is not a virus, but a program used to stop system processes. Antivirus programs cannot distinguish between "good" and "malicious" use of such programs, therefore they may alert the user.
http://www.beyondlogic.org/consulting/proc...processutil.htm

Credit to quietman7

#10 booya

booya
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2009 - 12:43 AM

hmm im not quite sure what to look for when i run autoruns.exe...so heres a pic of what it says as soon as i boot up...that pop up at the bottom right started happening after all the clean up and stuff as well...

Posted Image

heres the log from the smitfraud

SmitFraudFix v2.422

Scan done at 1:45:12.37, Sun 06/21/2009
Run from C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\SmitfraudFix
OS: Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600] - Windows_NT
The filesystem type is NTFS
Fix run in normal mode

Process

C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\RTHDCPL.EXE
C:\Program Files\ASUS\Six Engine\SixEngine.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\LogiShrd\LComMgr\Communications_Helper.exe
C:\Program Files\Logitech\QuickCam\Quickcam.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Xbox 360 Accessories\XboxStat.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Device Manager\msgrdvmn.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\program files\steam\steam.exe
C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\EADM\Core.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\LogitechDesktopMessenger.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Desktop Search\WindowsSearch.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\mscorsvw.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\LogiShrd\LVCOMSER\LVComSer.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\LogiShrd\LVMVFM\LVPrcSrv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\PnkBstrA.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\PnkBstrB.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\PSIService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Wacom_Tablet.exe
C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Common\ViewpointService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\SearchIndexer.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\LogiShrd\LVCOMSER\LVComSer.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\WTablet\Wacom_TabletUser.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Wacom_Tablet.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logishrd\LQCVFX\COCIManager.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\SmitfraudFix\Policies.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\SearchProtocolHost.exe

hosts

C:\

C:\WINDOWS

C:\WINDOWS\system

C:\WINDOWS\Web

C:\WINDOWS\system32

C:\WINDOWS\system32\LogFiles

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator

C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data

Start Menu

C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\FAVORI~1

Desktop

C:\Program Files

Corrupted keys

Desktop Components

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Desktop\Components\0]
"Source"="About:Home"
"SubscribedURL"="About:Home"
"FriendlyName"="My Current Home Page"

o4Patch
!!!Attention, following keys are not inevitably infected!!!

o4Patch
Credits: Malware Analysis & Diagnostic
Code: S!Ri

IEDFix

IEDFix

Agent.OMZ.Fix

Agent.OMZ.Fix

VACFix

VACFix

404Fix

404Fix

Sharedtaskscheduler

SrchSTS.exe by S!Ri
Search SharedTaskScheduler's .dll

AppInit_DLLs

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows]

Winlogon

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
"Userinit"="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\userinit.exe,"

RK

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
"System"=""

DNS

Description: Atheros AR8121/AR8113 PCI-E Ethernet Controller - Packet Scheduler Miniport
DNS Server Search Order: 192.168.1.1

HKLM\SYSTEM\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{C791ABEF-1D48-4D82-AEFB-2505A49B0D55}: DhcpNameServer=192.168.1.1
HKLM\SYSTEM\CS1\Services\Tcpip\..\{C791ABEF-1D48-4D82-AEFB-2505A49B0D55}: DhcpNameServer=192.168.1.1
HKLM\SYSTEM\CS2\Services\Tcpip\..\{C791ABEF-1D48-4D82-AEFB-2505A49B0D55}: DhcpNameServer=192.168.1.1
HKLM\SYSTEM\CCS\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: DhcpNameServer=192.168.1.1
HKLM\SYSTEM\CS1\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: DhcpNameServer=192.168.1.1
HKLM\SYSTEM\CS2\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: DhcpNameServer=192.168.1.1

Scanning for wininet.dll infection

End

Edited by booya, 21 June 2009 - 12:46 AM.

#11 booya

booya
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2009 - 05:54 AM

what ive noticed missing from the tray at the bottom right was the CCC (Catalyst Control Center for ATI) when i try to open it manually it says CLI.exe application error...

EDIT: well im f'd i d/l the latest drivers and everything is now haywire...as soon as i boot up i get no icons again...tried searching for it and i cant find it...something about a debugger pops up after reboot..hmm now every couple of minutes i get this...sounds gone to...

Posted Image

Edited by booya, 21 June 2009 - 07:06 AM.

#12 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,404 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2009 - 12:03 PM

Hi try doing a System Restore to about a week ago.
Can you get in to safe mode with command prompt?
If you can, type C:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe in to the command prompt and press return. This should allow you to run system restore to an earlier date.

#13 booya

booya
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2009 - 05:51 PM

thanks for all the help boopme but i think i will just reformat...this gives me an excuse to upgrade to Windows 7 i have all my stuff and save saved in an external hd..

#14 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,404 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2009 - 08:52 PM

You're welcome.
Not an unwise decision to make. In some instances an infection may have caused so much damage to your system that it cannot be completely cleaned or repaired. Wiping your drive, reformatting, and performing a clean install of the OS or doing a factory restore removes everything and is the safest action but I cannot make that decision for you.

Reformatting a hard disk deletes all data. If you decide to reformat, you can back up all your important documents, data files and photos. The safest practice is not to backup any autorun.ini or .exe files because they may be infected. Some types of malware may disguise itself by adding and hiding its extension to the existing extension of files so be sure you take a close look at the full name. After reformatting, as a precaution, make sure you scan these files with your anti-virus prior to copying them back to your hard drive.

The best proceedure is a low level format. This completely wipes the drive. Then reinstall the OS.
Use the free version of Active@ KillDisk.
Or Darik's Boot And Nuke

The best sources of Information on this are
Reformatting Windows XP
Michael Stevens Tech

Of course also feel free to ask anything on this in the XP forum. They'd be glad to help.
==============================
2 guidelines/rules when backing up

1) Backup all your important data files, pictures, music, work etc... and save it onto an external hard-drive. These files usually include .doc, .txt, .mp3, .jpg etc...
2) Do not backup any executables files or any window files. These include .exe's, .scr, .com, .pif etc... as they may contain traces of malware. Also, .html or .htm files that are webpages should also be avoided.

Download Belarc Advisor - builds a detailed profile of your installed software and hardware, including Microsoft Hotfixes, and displays the results in your Web browser.
Run it and then print out the results, they may be handy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users