Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tune Up 2009 Trial Version stopped me connecting to the internet

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Johnes

Johnes

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 20 June 2009 - 09:15 AM

Hi,

I have just installed a trial version of tune up 2009 after it was recommended. It found several problem relating to various aspects, including the interent. I followed its recommendations and now I can't connect to the internet through that machine (win xp home ed SP3). I can still connect without any problems on my laptop.

I have restored the changesmade through the rescue centre of tune up and I have also done a system restore to the point before installing tune up 2009. All of which hasn't helped. I am using AOL and none of their one-click fixes have worked either.

Any suggestions as to next steps?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 20 June 2009 - 11:35 AM

First, I would get rid of " tune up 2009 " the trial version will find a bunch of stuff that only the paid for version will "fix" if it works right.

Do you get a error message when trying to connect or does AOL simply fail to connect ?

Are you on dialup, DSL , or cable ?
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 Johnes

Johnes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 20 June 2009 - 12:40 PM

Thanks for the response. I have done a system restore to the point prior to installing tuneup. I am on a DSL connection and i was getting an error message saying aol could not find a broadband connection. Since posting the original message i was told to look at the dns. I can ping the router with a reply, and ping other ip addresses. However I couldn't ping internet addresses. So I then added the router address as the preferred dns server but still no joy. Someone else has suggested i add 20.67.222.222 as the alternate address and this seems to now work.

Any idea as to why this would suddenly stop working as it has always been set to obtain ip addresses automatically? Is this a permanent solution or willthings go wrong again in the future?

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

#4 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 20 June 2009 - 01:06 PM

Glad you got it working.

I learned not to use trial versions of things like a "PC tune up" .
The trial versions usually find syuff that isn't a problem that needs "fixing" or will create a problem that can only be fixed [according to them] buy buying their program.

As to whether or not the problem will reoccure is something i can't answer.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users