Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer is running slow

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 whytout

whytout

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 20 June 2009 - 09:15 AM

My computer has started running very slow lately...even for very simple tasks. When I look in the processes running I see one that is oftern running very high. It's NAVW32.EXE. Can someone tell me what this does and could this be part of the problem?

Dan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 20 June 2009 - 09:25 AM

NAVW32.EXE. Is for Norton AV
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 20 June 2009 - 10:00 AM

There are many things which can cause a system to run slow. One of the most over-looked causes is antivirus and/or firewalls. Purchased security products are more prone to causing a slow-down than free products.
Since there is no one size fits all when it comes to computer security, what works well for some may not work for others.
The only way to find out if Norton is the culprit would be to uninstall it and see what happens.
If your Norton is the Security Suite, you'll need to enable Windows firewall temporarily before you uninstall.
This is a test, so you would not have to worry about an antivirus while you find out if it runs faster after uninstallation if you don't open files and attachments and you surf to sites you know are good.
If the system is faster, you will need to either decide to live with Norton and slow and reinstall OR find an alternative.
Should Norton be the issue and you want to find other products, there is a list of free AV and firewalls here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html
And if you have had no issues with Norton until now, it's possible that an update to Norton messed something up.

I once installed McAfee. It made my system crawl slower than a turtle. It was so slow I could not get to add remove to uninstall so I has to take the drastic measure of formatting just to get rid of it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users