Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Am I the only one getting more spam lately?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 20 June 2009 - 01:57 AM

I've had the same Yahoo! e-mail account for a decade now. An address that old will undoubtedly get hammered by spam. Until now, the 4,000+ spams I get each day were almost always filtered by Yahoo into my junk folder; Yahoo's filters have performed admirably up until now.

But, for the last few days I've seen an uptick of spams getting through to my Inbox. Not a whole lot, mind, but 3 or 4 a day. And they all seem to be very similar in content and style (this is a G-Rated forum, so I won't go into detail.)

Has anyone else noticed this? Is there some new botnet out there?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 20 June 2009 - 08:35 AM

Not happening to me, yet, on Yahoo, AA.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• Topic Starter

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2009 - 11:36 AM

*grumble*

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,745 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2009 - 12:58 PM

There there, Andrew, it's tough being popular and a spam magent. But somebody has to do it.

Posted Image

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• Topic Starter

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2009 - 12:59 PM

There there, Andrew, it's tough being popular and a spam magent. But somebody has to do it.

It's so hard being beautiful... :thumbsup:

#6 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 20 June 2009 - 01:03 PM

Actually, about a month ago, my gmail account got slammed with spam. I marked them all as spam and after maybe 3 days, the spamming abuse stopped. Last week, it was the same thing all over again, spam central in my inbox. Again, I marked them as spam and a few days later they stopped (stopped meaning that the filter now catches them).

Just keep marking them as spam and hopefully they'll stop. That's about the only way I can can get rid of them.
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#7 Yourhighness

Yourhighness

The BSG Malware Fighter

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,943 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 21 June 2009 - 11:22 PM

It's so hard being beautiful... :thumbsup:

LOL

I also have a yahoo account and have to say that today was the first day in ages, I had more spam mails in inbox than normal mails. Plus the amount of spam was more today than it was the past weeks.

"How did I get infected?" - "Safe-hex" - Member of UNITE -
Posted Image

#8 teacup61

teacup61

Bleepin' Texan!

• Malware Response Team
  • 17,075 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2009 - 11:42 AM

Like you, Andrew, I've had this account forever......sbcglobal/Yahoo, and The last couple of months I've seen an increase in the SPAM in my inbox. Those idiotic Nigerian scam ones, and those that tell me my thing should be bigger. :thumbsup: I don't even have one of those. :flowers: I don't know what the deal is, but I wish it would stop already.
Please make a donation so I can keep helping people just like you.
Every little bit helps! :)
You can even use your credit card! Thank you!

Posted Image

Error reading poptart in Drive A: Delete kids y/n?

#9 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2009 - 12:39 PM

Thanks for taking all my spam A.. What a guy!! I don't get any.. :thumbsup:
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#10 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• Topic Starter

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2009 - 12:49 PM

*Amazing Andrew throws a bucket of spam at boopme

#11 elmongo2

elmongo2

• Members
  • 878 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2009 - 10:29 AM

Amazing to me how people still continue to fall for that stupid Nigerian Scam. I mean, can anyone on this vast message board honestly tell ME that they KNOW someone that's living in a million-dollar mansion in California next to Jennifer Aniston and Prince and made all their money from businessmen in Nigeria???

But honestly, I still havent noticed a difference in the amount of spam I'm getting in my Yahoo! account. It's always gotten flooded with spam, and likely will continue to, no matter what.
People do dumb things. And I'm not talking about paying too much for car insurance either.

#12 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• Topic Starter

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2009 - 12:53 PM

Amazing to me how people still continue to fall for that stupid Nigerian Scam. I mean, can anyone on this vast message board honestly tell ME that they KNOW someone that's living in a million-dollar mansion in California next to Jennifer Aniston and Prince and made all their money from businessmen in Nigeria???

But honestly, I still havent noticed a difference in the amount of spam I'm getting in my Yahoo! account. It's always gotten flooded with spam, and likely will continue to, no matter what.

I'll have you know that's EXACTLY how I made every dime I have!

PS
Spare change for the poor, buddy?
Posted Image

#13 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2009 - 05:57 PM

Not only is yahoo getting inundated with spam, but every mail account is getting nailed.

Only thing keeping me sane is the endian with spam assassin and pyzor installed.

Some still gets through but.... it's better than having my inbox full all the time.
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#14 scff249

scff249

Indecisive Lurker

• Members
  • 1,319 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2009 - 06:13 PM

I set up a hotmail account for testing on spam and decided to put up the e-mail for something like a day at a site. Soon after, it started to get spammed like crazy....something like 14 a day at most.....I think on average about 9 things of spam a day. Other than that, my other three e-mail accounts haven't been spammed (my random account for the little stuff that I only need for little things like Soundsnap.com, my main account for stuff like this forum, family, and friends, and my school account that I have for school....which is owned by the school....so school related stuff only for there :thumbsup:).

.....aaaaand shutting up.

"Ototo'i wa usagi o mita no...Kino wa shika...Kyo wa anata." -Kotomi Ichinose (Clannad) [see below for translation]
"Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you." -The Dandelion Girl
"You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person." -Katawa Shoujo

#15 Guest_The weatherman_*

Guest_The weatherman_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 30 June 2009 - 06:24 PM

I never get any spam... :flowers: but there again I never check mine. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users