Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it just overheating, or could it be something else?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 CriticalDesign

CriticalDesign

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 19 June 2009 - 06:49 PM

Well, my computer was bought in February and received some heavy use since then. :thumbsup:

I have noticed recently that the computer has been running fairly hot, and my gaming experiences were chock-full of lovely drops in framerate. I then moved my laptop to the coldest room in the house, and temporary fix, here I come.

But I realize, even though not nearly as hot as it used to be, the framerate during gaming still randomly drops, generally at more stressfull times, but it does drop frequently. The problem is that it never did this before, while playing the same games as I used to.

Although both my hard drives are at least 75% full, in total I have over 100gb of hard drive space left. I defragmented the both of them to get under 1% fragmentation in each (although my backup drive is almost 100% fragmented, what a mystery :/)

I dont have THAT many processes open and I have run Malwarebytes and Spybot S&D, and cleaned up.

I was wondering if perhaps there could be another issue aside overheating here. Perhaps it's not just the fault of the fan being dirty? Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 19 June 2009 - 10:38 PM

Get some canned air & blow it through the unit.
It would also help if you got a USB power "chill pad" to put iy on.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users