Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

buying a new computer: processor/ram/video card combo

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ooweirdoo

ooweirdoo

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 19 June 2009 - 05:04 PM

i am either buying a hp pavillion or a gateway desktop

the hp will have a intel quad core at 2.5 ghZ/ 8 gb ram/ bluray disk drive/ geforce 9600gs videocard for 1100$

the gateway will have intel i7 920 at 2.66ghz / 3 gig ram/ normal dvd r/rw drives/ ati radeon hd4850 for 950 dollars

which one will be more adept in video games and movies?

Edit: Moved topic from System Building and Upgrading to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 19 June 2009 - 07:01 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,235 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2009 - 10:33 AM

What games?

Do you mean...making movies...or merely watching movies?

What activities do you do on a computer?

Why only Intel systems?

Does the purchase include a CD/DVD for the operating system you intend to use? If not...how do you intend to repair the syatem when things go awry?

Louis

#3 ooweirdoo

ooweirdoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2009 - 07:14 PM

What games?

Do you mean...making movies...or merely watching movies?

What activities do you do on a computer?

Why only Intel systems?

Does the purchase include a CD/DVD for the operating system you intend to use? If not...how do you intend to repair the syatem when things go awry?

Louis

>.>...

i just want to know which one is better at speed

http://www.jr.com/gateway/pe/GTW_FX680001E/

or

http://www.jr.com/hp/pe/HP_M9520F/

#4 ooweirdoo

ooweirdoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2009 - 10:15 AM

i guess ill buy the gateqay and ask them for more ram ddr3 right?

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 21 June 2009 - 12:17 PM

In order to make the best recommendation for your needs, we really need to know your specific needs.
Without knowing that, there's no way of knowing which computer is best suited, to what you need.
If you would supply answers to the questions hamluis asked, we will be better able to suggest the best computer, for you.
Otherwise, our guess, is as good as yours. :blink:
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2009 - 07:00 AM

To be fair, "which one will be more adept in video games and movies?" was included in the original post.

The i920+4850 wins in every category. Only problem is lack of a blu-ray which ~$100 at Newegg will remedy. i920+ 6 gigs of Ram is a happy combo.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users