Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cranky wireless internet connection

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 TCK

TCK

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 19 June 2009 - 04:18 PM

Hi Tech-gurus,

Since day one, my Dell Latitude D520 has had difficulty connecting wirelessly to the internet. Anytime I traveled with it or tried to use it outside of our home network, I'd have to go through the following steps to get it to connect to a network in range:

1. Go into services.msc and manually start the Wireless Zero Configuration service (WZC) - despite it being set to automatic
2. Go into "Choose a wireless network" box and select "change the order of preferred networks" option
3. Check the box "Use windows to configure my wireless network settings"
4. It will finally then pull up the networks in range and I then can select the network I need to connect to from the list provided.

In the past I'd have to go through this every time I'd travel with my laptop in order to connect to the Internet. Sometimes I'd drop the connection at home and have to do the same procedure despite being connected for weeks. I could not simply click on the wireless icon in the tray to view the networks within in range. Everytime the machine would instruct me to run the WZC service.

All in all this got frustrating and I switched to using a wired connection at home. The wired connection works flawlessly and I have no issues with it whatsoever. But, I recently have been doing some traveling and have tried to and needed to connect wirelessly. Back to square one - no luck. I cannot even use the method above anymore to restart the system - nothing works. The computer currently does not pick up ANY networks at all and states there are "No wireless networks were found within range". This is perplexing because when I'm at home, I try to connect via wireless while in my office when I'm sitting right next to the wireless modem. Yet it still will not pick up or recognize our network.

The modem is not the culprit. We have two other machines (one PC, one Mac) that connect easily to our modem w/ no issues whatsoever. As I said earlier this machine has been a real pain to use wirelessly since day one and I'm about to give up on it.

My operating system is Microsoft Windows XP Professional version 2002 w/ service pack 3 and the computer is a Dell Latitude D520.

Any help is appreciated!

Edited by TCK, 19 June 2009 - 04:30 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users