Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Am I allowed to use Combofix/SDfix for Business Use?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 skip.ray

skip.ray

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 19 June 2009 - 04:07 PM

I wanted to check to see whether or not it was okay to use SDfix and Combofix for Business use.

Example:
We've tried running a paid for Virus Scanner, tried a Malwarebytes (tech license), would like to try Combofix/SDfix next. However I do not know if this is legal. If you go to www.combofix.org it says freeware.

But my question stems from that when you install it, it says This tool is meant for private use..." in the Disclaimer of Warranty on Software that comes with Combofix.

I have used these tools before and would love to use them at work for tech support related issues. I want to use it in a proper and legal manner though.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,847 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 19 June 2009 - 07:17 PM

I cannot address SDFix, But I will tell you what the author of Combofix told me regarding using the tool in an enterprise deployment. From another inquiry.

The tool isn't meant for the corporate environment. It will reset much of the machine's local policies to ms defaults.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2009 - 07:22 PM

The author of Combofix has no site, per se and has nothing to do with the site you listed, if you will read the disclaimer please

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v666/sUB...imer_090525.gif

Edited by garmanma, 19 June 2009 - 07:23 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 skip.ray

skip.ray
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2009 - 02:28 PM

Thank you all for your help, I'm sorry I missed that disclaimer.

I think I will stick with using Combofix for personal use only.

Thank you for helping me reach this decision :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users