Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tried removing trojan- system unstable

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gfiandy

gfiandy

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 19 June 2009 - 03:40 PM

Hi,

I have been struggling to remove an infection in my PC. It appeared there were a number of infections and via several tools I identified them and tried to remove them . However despit no trojand or viruses being reported the system is now unstable. I even went to try reinstalling windows from the origonal CDs but before I could I got a blue screen of death. It seems to work booted from the HD but will eventually die with a blue screen. This often occurs when trying to scan the HD to see if any viruses remain. I am working on it now so its not completely unusable however I wouldn't trust it with any important details such as a credit card etc.

I am at my whits end and have exhausted my level of ability.

Can anyone help?

Regards,
Andrew

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gfiandy

gfiandy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2009 - 03:53 PM

Hi,

Further information, as system just blue screened again I joted down the data from the report. There was alos alot of text about is this the first time you have seen this faut etc.

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

STOP: 0x00000050 (0xFFFFE7FF,0x00000000,0x00000000,0x00000000)

I hope this helps as I am fed up with this system.

Many thanks for any help
Andrew

#3 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,702 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 19 June 2009 - 06:31 PM

Hello gfiandy and :thumbsup: to Bleepingcomputer.

In order for us to help you please answer the following questions in as much detail as possible.

What tools have you run?
What viruses/trojans etc were detected?

Thanks

~Blade

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#4 gfiandy

gfiandy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2009 - 05:28 AM

Hi,

Spy Doctor reported Virus doctor and a exporer hijacker which it didn't identify
Malwarebytes wouldn't run at first and now runs but locks up before it completes
MS online scan runs but locks up before it completes
spybot reported FunWebProducts - (which it still reports even though it said it had removed it\0
Spybot reports MSwindows securitycentervirusoverride
Microsoftwindowsappfirewallbypass

I just opened SPYbot and it reported that something had modified it and it should be reloaded as it doesn't modify itself.
Avast reports no errors but is running ok
I ran combofix and I can give you the log file if you like. It crashed reporting that there was an error with one of the programs but seemed to complete when I aborted this program (sorry I did not note down the program)

THe system regularly seems to need to run CHKDSK at startup.
I ran hijackthis but did not act on any of the information as I couldn't determine what was good and waht was bad.
I ran sweeper but did not act on the data as I wasn't clear what it mean't

I have also run CCleaner several time to clean up the mess in the registry.

Unfortunately it may be a case of a little knowlege being a dangerous thing, I probably should have found a site like this to start with and just asked for help.

EDIT:
I found some notes I took and one of the checkers reported the following files (I think it was PCtools)

tbSpa0.dll
hpi.dll
ntoskrnl.exe

I remove the first two and replace the last one from the one in the directory c:\i386

I also note that one of the viruses that was reported was multipassrecover (although I don't know what tool reported it)

I also have a note reading catchme.dll

and NirCMD

Again unfortunately I did not record what tool flagged these files.

Clearly I should have taken better notes :-(

Another EDIT:

Tried reinstalling windows again to capture problem.

Windows gets to the point of asking what drive to install on but no active partitions are listed, when I used the up arro key (to see if the list scrolled and there were active partitions I couldn't see) it crashed with a blues screen.

Windows has detected a problem and sut down etc.

it also suggested there may not be enough disk space

or that I needed BIOS updates

the STOP numbers were

STOP: 0x0000008E(0x00000005, 0x8071A799,0xF73BA778,0x00000000)

Regards,
Andrew

Edited by gfiandy, 20 June 2009 - 06:25 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users