Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't run ScanDisk on External HD

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dznroses

dznroses

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 19 June 2009 - 12:16 PM

I have a Maxtor "OneTouch4" 700 GB external hard drive. I keep getting an error message on my task bar that says a file is "corrupt and unreadable. Please run the Chkdsk utility."

So, I've gone to to the drive to try to run check disk, and this is what happens.

I check the check boxes for "Automatically fix file system errors" and "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors".
when I click start, however, I get this message: "The disk check could not be performed because the disk check utility needs exclusive access to some window files on the disk. These files can be accessed only by restarting windows. Do you want to schedule this disk check to occur the next time you restart the computer?"

I click yes, but when I restart my pc (5 or 6 times now), it does nothing more than normal. I've even opened task manager to try to see if it's even attempting to run ScanDisk, but nothing. I can run scan disc on my internal drives without a problem. What do I need to do to try to find and fix whatever errors occur on my external drive?

(If I don't check the fix system errors and attempt recovery of bad sectors boxes, it says it's running and it will go through... I think it's 'phase' 1 and start 'phase' 2 then say it was unable to continue.)

I'm hestitant to remove the drive and install it as an internal because it is still in it's warranty period. BTW, does anyone else have horrible luck with externals becoming corrupt, etc? I don't know many people that have them, but those that do haven't had much luck... They're so handy though, if they'd work right!!! :thumbsup: I never just unplug it, I either let it shut down with the pc or "safely remove" and it's on a solid foundation. I'm wondering if I should put a fan on it. It does seem to get pretty hot.

Thank you so much for any help you can give me!

Angie
:huh:

P.S. I did go to 'diskmgmt.msc' as one of your other posts suggests, and it does say that the drive is healthy... I have to wonder though... :huh:

Edited by dznroses, 19 June 2009 - 12:25 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,568 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2009 - 01:35 PM

When chkdsk /r (that's what you are trying to run...Scandisk belongs to Windows 9x systems) is running on a drive, I believe that the only indication will be the system light reflecting hard drive activity...if Windows is open.

When a user schedules chkdsk /r to run on boot...it runs before Windows even loads. It does not load Windows and then run.

If you rebooted and it did not run before Windows could get to the desktop...something is wrong (and I can't tell you what).

Now that I've said all that :thumbsup:, none of it matters on an external drive. Nothing can run on an external until the USB drivers are loaded and Windows goes to the desktop.

The fact that you cannot get it to run while in Windows...and the error message you received...indicates a drive problem greater than those which chkdsk /r can handle.

I suggest trying to run the Sea Tools for Windows diagnostic on it.

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/seatools

Louis

The chkdsk /r process consists of 5 phases, with most corrections taking place during Phase 3.

Edited by hamluis, 19 June 2009 - 01:36 PM.

#3 dznroses

dznroses
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2009 - 03:46 PM

Okay, I'll try to keep this short, but thorough enough. :thumbsup: First off, thanks for the information. That did explain a couple things for me. Sorry I haven't replied yet - it's been crazy with grandmother in hospital things, but I have managed to try to sporadically do what you've recommended.

When I went to Seagate’s site, I saw that my drive came with a program “Maxtor Manager” to scan for and I guess fix errors. (Sorry, I honestly never really looked at the software that came with it – I know probably an idiot that way, just never really big on directions for fairly self-explanatory things.) Unfortunately, when I run the program, it tells me that everything is functioning normally, while Windows at the same time incessantly tells me that there is still a problem with that file.

So, I downloaded and installed SeaTools, but it won’t run. While “Scanning for supported drives. Please wait…” I receive an error: “Fatal Error: Device Discovery… Could not find any recognizable digits. Int32 StringToInt(System.String, Int32, Int32, Int32*)”

Then I tried to run Defrag again, just to try SOMETHING, even putting the drive on another PC, and still got the error of ScanDisk scheduled to run. So, I searched online to find out how to cancel the command, found the directions on Microsoft’s site to delete the string in the registry. I did that, rebooted several times, but another HD on the pc to make it assign a different drive letter, everything I can think of, but it STILL says it’s scheduled to run.

Anyway, I am now at a loss as how to either get defrag to run (not real sure what good it would do, though, except give me some feeling of accomplishment!) or get SeaTools to run. I did do a search online for the SeaTools issue also, and found a lot of people with the same problem, but no real solution.

I think that’s pretty much all the solutions I’ve tried thus far. Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Again, I’m sorry for drawing this problem out. It may not seem like it, but it really is driving me nuts.
Thanks again,
Angie

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,568 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2009 - 04:06 PM

I would have removed the drive from the enclosure, warranty or no warranty.

Or contact the manufacturer, attempt to obtain an RMA...and lose your drive for X weeks.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users