Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Protection Feedback

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Shorty24

Shorty24

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 19 June 2009 - 10:40 AM

I'm probably going to need to rebuild my computer due to whatever virus, malware, etc is causing my current problem that the community is currently helping me with or even if I don't need to rebuild I want better protection.

Here is what I have Dell Optiplex GX-280 Windows XP Pro SP3 Pentium 4 CPU 2.8 GHz 3 GB of RAM 80 GB Western Digital Hard Drive Symantec Endpoint Protection which I think I will replace with something better.

Here is my plan for better protection so please give your feedback and experiences as I, in a perfect world, don't want to have to do this again but I know that at some point something will get through but I want the best protection FREE can buy. LOL

Anti-virus
AVG or Avast home edition. I haven't made up my mind

Spyware
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

Windows Firewall (service pack 3)

Super Ad Blocker 4.6

Thanks for all your feedback in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,702 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2009 - 11:11 AM

Hello Shorty24,

Here is my opinion:

AV: I personally prefer Avira Free. But AVG and Avast! are good too

AS: MBAM is very good. As a precaution I would also install SpywareBlaster. It will add a large list of programs and sites into your Internet Explorer settings that will protect you from running and downloading known malicious programs.

A tutorial on installing & using this product can be found here:

Using SpywareBlaster to protect your computer from Spyware and Malware

FW: While Windows Firewall is sufficient to deal with incoming threats, it offers no outbound protection and thus cannot alert you to programs already on your PC that are attempting to connect to remote servers. Kerio is an excellent free firewall that accomplishes this. Another is Comodo Firewall (remember to uncheck Install Comodo Antivirus)

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#3 Shorty24

Shorty24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2009 - 11:24 AM

Does Spyware blaster also work with Firefox? I prefer Firefox to IE

#4 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,702 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2009 - 12:41 PM

I don't think it does, sorry :thumbsup: But I know how you feel; Firefox is my preferred browser as well.

An alternative that does provide some protection to FF is the immunize function built into Spybot: Search & Destroy. I'm not on my home machine right now, but when I get there I'll post a link where you can download Spybot from.

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#5 Shorty24

Shorty24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2009 - 12:52 PM

That would be great. I will be using Firefox mainly. I will still download spyblaster for those occasional visits, unless you think that will be overkill? Will MBAM work with firefox?

#6 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,702 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2009 - 01:19 PM

MBAM operates independently of your web browser. So yes :thumbsup:

Download Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.6.2 (15.6 MB)

Spybot also has many other useful features as well, such as TeaTimer. It's pretty self explanatory, but feel free to post back with any questions!

Spywareblaster probably isn't necessary if you use Immunize; Immunize works for both FF and IE

Edited by Blade Zephon, 19 June 2009 - 01:22 PM.

Posted Image

Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#7 Shorty24

Shorty24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2009 - 01:54 PM

What does tea timer do?

#8 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 19 June 2009 - 02:08 PM

I had a customer last week get infected from their new website that was being setup. It was infected with html iframe.inf http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=42290.0

Symantec SAVCE 10 let it through, then gave an alert with autoprotect saying it partially removed it. AVG didn't alert to anything, but didn't get infected either. Avast Home immediately alerted to the virus and gave the option to abort the connection. I have tested many of them and Avast still wins in my book!

#9 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,702 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2009 - 02:13 PM

TeaTimer is a special component of Spybot that alerts you whenever something attempts to change your registry, and gives you the option to allow or reject that change.

Posted Image

Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#10 Shorty24

Shorty24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2009 - 03:24 PM

Registry? What is my PC getting married or having a baby. :thumbsup: LOL! Sorry I don't know much about PC's. I would never know if I would want to allow ever. Could you explain why I would need this or when I would allow.

I had a customer last week get infected from their new website that was being setup. It was infected with html iframe.inf http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=42290.0

Symantec SAVCE 10 let it through, then gave an alert with autoprotect saying it partially removed it. AVG didn't alert to anything, but didn't get infected either. Avast Home immediately alerted to the virus and gave the option to abort the connection. I have tested many of them and Avast still wins in my book!

Thanks this info is very helpful

#11 Shorty24

Shorty24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2009 - 05:43 PM

I think from reading the helpful replies (thank you) and other topics on this subject i believe I have made my decision and hopefully I understand all that I have read so here goes. If something doesn't seem right or I need more let me know. Keep in mind I will be using Firefox as my primary browser and i also think i'm going to set up a admid account and then an everyday account.

Anti-virus
avast home edition

Spyware
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Spyware blaster

Firewall
Zone Alarm firewall only
Windows Firewall (disabled but keep for updates for operating system, service pack 3)

Popup blocker
Super Ad Blocker 4.6

If I forgot anything or if something is going to interfere with the other PLEASE let me know. I'm new at this and it was a lot of info to absorb in such a short amount of time. Again thank you all for your input

#12 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,702 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2009 - 06:04 PM

Taken from Demystifying the Windows Registry

Ever since Windows 95, the Windows operating system has been using a centralized hierarchical database to store system settings, hardware configurations, and user preferences. This database is called the Windows Registry or more commonly known as the Registry.

Almost every malware infection makes changes to the registry. It's a very important part of the OS and should be protected.

As to when you would allow such changes to be made, anytime you are installing, or updating a program, odds are you're going to be changing something in the registry. When the alert pops up, you should look and see what setting is being changed (it'll tell you) and make sure you recognize it. If all else fails, you're more than welcome to ask here. :thumbsup:

Edited by Blade Zephon, 19 June 2009 - 06:07 PM.

Posted Image

Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#13 Shorty24

Shorty24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2009 - 06:50 PM

Thanks so much for you input

#14 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,702 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2009 - 07:11 PM

:thumbsup:

Posted Image

Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users