Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bios Reset?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bolterdog

bolterdog

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 19 June 2009 - 10:04 AM

Still trying to sort out issues with my old P4 2.4 computer. Started having trouble after being infected with malware but think now my trouble may be hardware related. Previous topic here:http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/229176/format-c-under-xp/
Computer is confirmed virus and malware free so there is no need to go down that road. Where I am now is I have installed a cleaned (more on that later) hard drive and tried to install XP fresh from the recovery CD that came with the computer. Previously I was unable to do this because no matter what I did in the bios as far as setting boot order, the hard drive would always take over after about 5 seconds on start up. I would get the "press any key to boot from CD" but it would always bypass that and go to the hard drive. I have confirmed that the optical drive works by putting it in another machine and have confirmed the media as well. The optical drive works in my 2.4 machine but for some unknown reason the autoplay no longer works and the only way to access it is through the MyComputer icon and that has a 2 minute delay befor it will work (see previous topic). So I decided to put the CD in the drive, disconnect the power supply to the hard drive and see if the computer would read the CD without jumping to the hard drive. That worked! It starts the XP setup and copies all the files so that part of it works. After that there are other issues because the hard drive is unplugged (duh!) but for now I would like to see if anyone can help with what the cause of the boot order issue might be. I have swapped ribbon cables and confirmed all connections are seated correctly. I have read about "bios reset" but don't know what that is or how to do it. There is a default option in the bios but not sure if that is what a reset is. There is an upgrade available through the MSI web page but I'm not sure if that is the way to go. Is there a way to tell if I have a hardware issue or if the problem is in the bios? At the end of the day, if I get XP to load, I don't want to end up with the same problem because I have never gotten to the root cause.

As far as the hard drive, I still have not been able to find out how to format an allready used hard drive completely without putting the XP CD in and restarting the computer. Everywhere I look this is the only method given and it is not an option I can use because of the boot problem. I took the drive, installed it as a slave and erased all the files, then put it in the 2.4 machine and that is where I am now. Is there a way to put the drive as a slave in another machine and format it so it will accept a clean XP install? I'll wait to hear back. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bolterdog

bolterdog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2009 - 08:36 AM

Bump

Perhaps a suggestion for another place to find out info about my issue? I'd rather not abandon my old 2.4 friend but thats where I'm at. Thanks.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 20 June 2009 - 09:12 AM

Return to default settings is the same as resetting the BIOS
You checked the connections, did you also check the drives' jumpers?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 20 June 2009 - 09:14 AM

For info on installing XP from any recovery/restore CD (supplied by the system manufacturer)...you will have to consult the owner's manual or the manufacturer's website.

Louis

#5 bolterdog

bolterdog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2009 - 07:02 PM

Thanks, I am in contact with the OEM supplier and all the drive jumpers were checked.

Can you tell me, is there a way to format the hard drive I want to use if I connect it as a slave in my working computer so that I have a clean drive to start with when I do get my other machine back up and running?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 22 June 2009 - 07:09 PM

What would be the point?

No matter what method you use to install Windows, you will need either a CD/DVD or recovery/restore disks...that format the hard drive before doing the install.

If you just want to wipe the drive clean...you can use the hard drive manufacturer's website to download a utility for formatting and running diagnostic tests on the drive.

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users