Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disapointing Mistake

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 THCkilla

THCkilla

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 03 July 2005 - 11:11 PM

Ok, I made a mistake when creating a new user account for others in my house to use. Somehow when I was switching around accounts, my original one got replaced. All my settings and documents have been wiped I think. In my Documents and Settings folder I have a folder from that account but access is denied whenever I try to do anything to it.It says its empty, I I looked in it with a progrom when i could browse files and I saw all my music and stuff. But cant get to them. I appreciate any comments.

Edited by THCkilla, 03 July 2005 - 11:21 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 04 July 2005 - 10:52 AM

Try to recreate the account. Select the one you substituted the name for on your old account and change the name and password back.

#3 PapaSmurf88

PapaSmurf88

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2005 - 11:17 AM

The problem is that your securtiy hash has changed since you changed the account so there for you can no longer access the foldiers that you use to have. In order to fix this you have to go in and take ownership of the folder and this will give you access to the folder and all you files inside the folder. Plz get back to me with the operating system and I can walk you through the steps.

Papa Smurf
My Specs:

Albatron PX915P4C Pro
Intel P4 3.0 Ghz Processor w/ HT technology
2x 512MB PC3200 Memory
120 GB Western Digital IDE HD
SAPPHIRE X550 256Mb Video Card

#4 THCkilla

THCkilla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2005 - 01:31 PM

Ok I am using windows xp pro sp2. I know about the taking ownership part, but when i right click the folder and goto properties for the first step, there is no security tab for me to select. So after I looked around through options and settings I coulnt find any way. If I try to create a new account with the same name it says that account already exists and wont let me, I was hoping that would work. Thanks guys for your effort, windows can really give me a headache.

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 04 July 2005 - 04:34 PM

Have you done this:

If you are using Windows XP Professional, you must disable Simple File Sharing. By
default, Windows XP Professional uses Simple File sharing when not joined to a
domain.

Here's the MS article:
How To Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 THCkilla

THCkilla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2005 - 06:01 PM

:thumbsup: Thanks alot all of you. I noticed that I had overlooked the part about disabling simple file sharing, which lets me acess the security tab. I took ownership of the folder and luckily enough i got all my stuff back. :flowers:

#7 PapaSmurf88

PapaSmurf88

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2005 - 07:04 PM

Congrats glad we could help you out
My Specs:

Albatron PX915P4C Pro
Intel P4 3.0 Ghz Processor w/ HT technology
2x 512MB PC3200 Memory