Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing CD ROM

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tipoman

tipoman

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 19 June 2009 - 05:52 AM

Hi poeple, I have an Acer Aspire 2920 running Vista Home. My cd rom is not working, after burning a DVD. I have looked at various sites with no luck, and Acer could not help as well. The CD Rom does not show in device manager. I have looked in regedit and low and high filters are not there as well. I have tried to reinstall the entire system from boot up but it tells me I don't have a back up at all....aaaagh. Any suggestions! I have transferrred any files I need onto D drive, can I reisntall XP from start up or will Vista refuse to read it, will reinstall xp overright d drive. Any suggestions please.

Brian

Oh I think the drivers are Mitsumi and I can't find these anywhere including the Mitsumi site.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,242 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2009 - 11:27 AM

You mention two different O/Ses...which one doesn't reflect the optical drive properly?

Assuming that you are dual-booting...is the drive properly displayed in the other O/S you mentioned?

Louis

#3 tipoman

tipoman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2009 - 01:09 PM

Hi, yes I have re-read it and it does sound confusing. I have Vista, BUT in the absence of having a vista system disc and not being able to re-install from the boot up screen, Alt F10 etc, was going to install XP as I have the disc.

Bri

#4 tipoman

tipoman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2009 - 01:10 PM

Oh and no the CD rom isn't displayed at all.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,242 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2009 - 02:04 PM

OK, I understand now :thumbsup:.

Well...I would not remove the Vista install...just because an optical drive disappeared. Conversely, I don't see how changing your version of Windows will induce a possibly defective drive to work.

Since this is a laptop drive and I don't have any laptops...you need to wait for someone else to tell you how to go about troubleshooting this.

I will say...if the optical drive doesn't appear in your BIOS...both as an installed drive and as a boot option...it might be dead.

You may want to take a look at the 3d item on the list, http://repair4laptop.org/disassembly_acer.html

Louis

#6 tipoman

tipoman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2009 - 02:27 PM

Thank you very much for the link and your reply.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users