Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virtual Question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 KuriousWanderer

KuriousWanderer

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 19 June 2009 - 02:44 AM

Does anybody have any thoughts or experience of using virtual machines, in particular I'm wondering if it would be better to run windows in a virtual box on a linux host machine (probally ubuntu 9.04 or elive) x64, or to run linux inside a VMware machine on a windows host machine.
My first thought was that it would be better to run linux in windows as linux needs to use less memory and works great in limited environments, but then I started to wonder about virus, spyware ect... and that if the windows host machine was infected in could destroy or cripple my system and therefore all guest operating systems, and conversly - as linux is almost virus free, if a windows guest machine were infected it would only effect that VM and not the whole system.
Anyone any thoughts on this, it would be very useful to me?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KuriousWanderer

KuriousWanderer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2009 - 07:26 AM

I guess nobody knows :thumbsup:

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 26 June 2009 - 05:28 PM

dunno, I havent played around to much with it. Ive run some virtualization, running different versions of linux inside of windows vista, but I didnt do much more then just install them and run them for abit.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 KuriousWanderer

KuriousWanderer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2009 - 05:16 AM

Thanks for taking the time to answer patriot09, I guess I'm going to install a double boot - one with Win7 x64 and the other with ubuntu x64 and play around with VMware on the windows and Virtual box on the other. I'll give a couple of weeks of experimenting and I'll post anything that may be of help to others.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users