Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using S-Video Port Directly Through TV [ HELP ]

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 EdDyWuu

EdDyWuu

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 18 June 2009 - 11:30 PM

I am trying to use S-Video port cable into my graphic card directly into a TV. Since there is no hdmi to dvi, i use the S-Video cable for the tv to my graphic card

The problem is that. It becomes very very blurry and the resolution does not fit the screen. I have tried to modify the resolution but i cannot go any higher than 1024x768

My graphic card is nVidia geForce 7300 se / 7200 gs

My question is that why it becomes blurry and why i cannot go any higher resolution?

What is the problem and what is the solution? Do i need a better graphic card to support higher resolution?

Thanks and i appreciate your help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2009 - 11:43 PM

You didn't mention what kind of TV you are using but I can tell you from expierence that "regular" TV's make horrible monitors.
Great to watch movies on though.

As for a HDTV you are going to need a video card with a HD connector to make it work right.

If you have a geForce 7300 se / 7200 gs hooked to a HDTV you are trying to use "ancient" tecnology to run new technology.

Kind of like putting a Model A engine in a 5.0 Mustang body.
You may get it to run but it isn't going to perform well.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 EdDyWuu

EdDyWuu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2009 - 11:47 PM

You didn't mention what kind of TV you are using but I can tell you from expierence that "regular" TV's make horrible monitors.
Great to watch movies on though.

As for a HDTV you are going to need a video card with a HD connector to make it work right.

If you have a geForce 7300 se / 7200 gs hooked to a HDTV you are trying to use "ancient" tecnology to run new technology.

You may get it to run but it isn't going to perform well.

The TV i have is LCD TV but not a good model. So doesnt matter about the cable or graphic card? It matters about what kind of monitor? What if i plug into a S-video cable into a Sony Bravia LCD monitor? Would it be a greater quality as for monitor?

AS for my graphic card. It has HDMI port and S-Video port. So i could plug the HDMI to DVI LCD Sony TV would get a same quality as in monitor or greater?

Also. As for graphic card. Does my graphic card have max resolution to 1024x768? Cauz i cannot go any further than that. But i have a 14 or 15 inches monitor. Could it be the case that i need a bigger monitor to get a bigger resolution?

Edited by EdDyWuu, 18 June 2009 - 11:48 PM.

#4 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2009 - 08:00 AM

LCD displays have a "native" resolution & a specific range of resolutions they will work at.
[The make/mosel will determine the exact specs]

If your video output [video card] can't reach a resolution that is withing specs the output will be affected, usually by a blurry display.
That brings us back to,

"If you have a geForce 7300 se / 7200 gs hooked to a HDTV you are trying to use "ancient" tecnology to run new technology.

You may get it to run but it isn't going to perform well."

The solution to the problem is a newer/better video card.
I suggest a video card that is "HD capable" as they usually allow higher resolutions.

If your computer has a AGP video card slot you are goybg to be a little limited on what video cards are available but upgrades are still available.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#5 EdDyWuu

EdDyWuu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2009 - 08:59 AM

LCD displays have a "native" resolution & a specific range of resolutions they will work at.
[The make/mosel will determine the exact specs]

If your video output [video card] can't reach a resolution that is withing specs the output will be affected, usually by a blurry display.
That brings us back to,

"If you have a geForce 7300 se / 7200 gs hooked to a HDTV you are trying to use "ancient" tecnology to run new technology.

You may get it to run but it isn't going to perform well."

The solution to the problem is a newer/better video card.
I suggest a video card that is "HD capable" as they usually allow higher resolutions.

If your computer has a AGP video card slot you are goybg to be a little limited on what video cards are available but upgrades are still available.

My video card slot is PCI which is can upgrade it to a higher spect.

So the solution is to get a higher and better graphic card?

Do you think EVGA 8600 GTS will support be capable of HD and is it a good graphic card for base on gaming? Not heavy gaming like crysis but good fraps for gamings?

#6 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2009 - 09:32 AM

I don't use nvidia video cards as I simply don't like them so I can't comment on the EVGA 8600 GTS .
[I use only ATI cards]

I will say this, One of the things to be aware of is some of the newer vidio cards require a power lead from the power supply & can be rather power hungry.
What newer video cards you can simply pop in & use will be determined by how strong your power supply is .
I suggest you check your power supply to see what you have so you can determine if you can run the video card you're thinking about buying .

A good example of what I'm talking about is the EVGA 8600 GTS you asked about

The system requirements to run it list,
"Minimum of a 350 Watt power supply.
(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 22 Amp Amps.)"

Of course you could always upgrade the power supply to run better video cards. :thumbsup:

#7 EdDyWuu

EdDyWuu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2009 - 09:50 AM

I don't use nvidia video cards as I simply don't like them so I can't comment on the EVGA 8600 GTS .
[I use only ATI cards]

I will say this, One of the things to be aware of is some of the newer vidio cards require a power lead from the power supply & can be rather power hungry.
What newer video cards you can simply pop in & use will be determined by how strong your power supply is .
I suggest you check your power supply to see what you have so you can determine if you can run the video card you're thinking about buying .

A good example of what I'm talking about is the EVGA 8600 GTS you asked about

The system requirements to run it list,
"Minimum of a 350 Watt power supply.
(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 22 Amp Amps.)"

Of course you could always upgrade the power supply to run better video cards. :thumbsup:

Oh i seee thank you. I have a 450 watt power supply which i think it could handle it.

I am planning to get either http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814130485 but i am not sure if is it a good gaming card but not a really high end gaming.

Or is there a better graphic card at the same price range?

Edited by EdDyWuu, 19 June 2009 - 09:50 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users