Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hardware Tweaks

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 HJT Noob

HJT Noob

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 03 July 2005 - 09:32 PM

Hi, I have been checking around the internet a bit learning about overclocking PCs (Boosting general system performance by pushing hardware to the max), and I have found many ads for programs like speedupmypc, rambooster, tunexp, but found that 99% of these programs do very little to nothing. I know that it is easy to improve internet speeds but I was wondering if anyone has ever used any effective programs that tweak clocking settings or at least due more than tune xp pro. I'm not looking for freeware.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 cooldudenz

cooldudenz

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2005 - 12:20 AM

Not much you can do to improve internet speed, your limited to what ever speed your signed up for with your ISP, Things you can do is delete any spywear and get a firewall like " zonealarm "
The HJT log fourm can help you with the spyware and any viruses that may be useing some of your speed.
And you can get a free verson of zonealarm from here
http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/home.jsp

I dont realy no much about overclocking so someone eles will have to help you with that, i did over clock my video card quite high but that was with a program, but i do no you will be shorting the lifespane of ur hardwear by overclocking and i belive it wont make that much of a differect.

#3 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 04 July 2005 - 12:26 AM

Actually there is a program that can be used to totally increase some surf speed and ultimately speed up download speed.

Theres a wonderful tool out there called cablenut.

Basically all cablenut does is set paraeters for your internet in your registry. If used correctly you can greatly increase your download speeds.

My download speed increased from a measly 13kb/s-30kb/s to 160kb/s-200kb/s

Heres how you do it:

1. go to cablenut.com and dowload your free copy of cablenut

2. Once cablenut is installed and downloaded navigate to the directory you installed it in.

3. Open the folder called css

4. Find your way of accessing the internet
56=dialup(sbc....etc)
satellite=satellite internet (sbc....etc)
cable=cable internet (comcast, sbc.....etc)
adsl=dsl (sbc...comcast...etc)

5. Once you click on the folder you will see a couple of executable files, this part is important. Now click on the folder of your operating system with the word fast in it.

For example im running windows xp, sbc yahoo dsl, so id choose adsl_fast_2k
Someone running 56k dialup, on windows 98 would choose 56K_9x

6. After you double click your file, the cablenut adjuster will open up with the values of your specified speed filled in. All you need to do is click save to registry at the bottom left, then exit after that.

7. Reboot your computer

After you reboot you will expirience the joy of drastically improved download speeds.

If theyres any questions or problems pm me or just reply to this thread.

Hope this helps smile.gif

#4 cooldudenz

cooldudenz

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2005 - 12:46 AM

:thumbsup: Techsomething

I downloading this as we speak lol, Once ive added that stuff to my Reg does the program take those out once i uninstall it if its no help? Or should i back up my reg first, then import it again if the program does not work?

#5 cooldudenz

cooldudenz

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2005 - 12:51 AM

I made a resotre point as well just in case lol dont want anything mucking up my net :thumbsup:

#6 HJT Noob

HJT Noob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2005 - 01:21 PM

Thanks Techsomething, cablenut helped a lot. Downloading 50% faster than usual.

#7 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 04 July 2005 - 01:56 PM

Yeh np,

anyways......once you uninstall cablenut it does take the registry entries out of your sdystem and back into normal.

Howeverer if your download and upload speeds werent increased please verify your doing the procedure directly.

Let me help you, whos your isp and what connection do you have> (cable? dsl?? 56k?)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users