Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Registry error forcing continuous reboot

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 tomreidwilson

tomreidwilson

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 18 June 2009 - 10:07 PM

Hi everyone!
It has been a while since I've posted to this amazing community. If anyone has any suggestions regarding my problem, I would greatly appreciate some help (hoping not to take my comp to the shop :s ).

Here's the deal:

- I run XP on my 3 month year old home-build pc.
- Everything was running fine last night. I shut it down before I went to bed.
- Today I went back on and it booted but froze at my desktop. I could not right click, ctrl alt del, open the start menu, access icons, etc.
- I rebooted a few times but nothing fixed the problem.
- I rebooted in safe mode, seems to be okay...
- Now whenever I reboot I get the following error: "One of the files containing the system's registry data had to be recovered by use of a log or alternate copy. the recovery was successful."
- After about 30 seconds of seeing this error, the computer reboots itself-- rinse, wash, repeat.

Registry errors scare the living bejesus out of me... so, any thoughts before I send this badboy into the shop?

THANKS! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 19 June 2009 - 11:09 AM

Sounds like you need to repair the MBR
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 tomreidwilson

tomreidwilson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2009 - 02:59 PM

What do you think I should do when I start recovery?

#4 tomreidwilson

tomreidwilson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2009 - 04:27 PM

Oh yeah, and the weird thing is that it runs fine in safe mode (the same error comes up), but the system does not reboot.

Mark, would you recommend running a program like this: http://www.ambience.sk/fdisk-master-boot-r...lilo-fixmbr.php
?

Thanks! I'm feeling this isn't as scary as I once thought... But still, registry freaks me out. :thumbsup:

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 19 June 2009 - 04:37 PM

I have no knowledge of that application, so I couldn't give you an opinion one way or the other
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 tomreidwilson

tomreidwilson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2009 - 04:12 PM

Thanks Mark.

So does anyone know what I should be doing at this point? Is there a registry fix I can do? Diagnostics? etc...
I'm just at a loss and google searching is not giving me much.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,873 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2009 - 05:49 PM

<<One of the files containing the system's registry data had to be recovered...>>

Seems like 100 posters have 101 different ideas of what's going on (using Google).

I would try running chkdsk /r (Start/Run...type chkdsk /r (with space between k and /)...hit Enter. When onscreen message appears, type Y in response and hit Enter. Reboot and let the command run to completion, system will reboot when command is completed.

As for fixing the registry...forget that. Chkdsk runs through all files/registry entries. If it cannot fix what is wrong, there are other things to try.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Registry

Did you look at the links provided by Garmanma?

Louis

#8 tomreidwilson

tomreidwilson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2009 - 07:20 PM

Hi Louis!
Bleepingcomputer wins again. :thumbsup:
I'm now able to boot normally- a new error message pops up, however. It does not, however, seem to be affecting the performance of my computer at all.

The new error message is as follows: "The system has recovered from a serious error". The error signature is as follows:
BCCode : 51 BCP1 : 00000004 BCP2 : 00000001 BCP3 : E19AC0A8
BCP4 : 00035D20 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 3_0 Product : 256_1

Error report contents are as follows:
C:\DOCUME~1\Tom\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERb86d.dir00\Mini062109-01.dmp
C:\DOCUME~1\Tom\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERb86d.dir00\sysdata.xml

Any suggestions about how I can resolve this?

And, once again, thank you thank you thank you thank you Louis and Mark!!! :flowers::) I can play oblivion again. ;)

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,873 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2009 - 09:00 PM

Seems to be a driver issue...I'd make the video driver the prime suspect (just because video drivers seem to cause so many problems).

I would uninstall the current drivers...and then install either drivers from original CD or updated drivers from website.

I'd also do a check of Event Viewer errors, in hopes of finding clues. There are all sorts of drivers that could be responsible, but the video drivers are a good place to start.

http://forum.soft32.com/win3/XP-Home-Versi...opict90821.html

You might also see if you have a .dmp file relative to your situation. If you do, consider following the procedures outlined in Help Diagnosing BSODs And Crashes (BC) - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/176011/how-to-receive-help-diagnosing-blue-screens-and-windows-crashes/

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users