Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

INSTALLATION OF REPLACING MOBO

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 lolein

lolein

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 18 June 2009 - 09:34 PM

Hi,

I'll get my MOBO replaced by the manufactured tomorrow, and I never needed to replace s MOBO before (I just have built systems). So I have a couple of questions.

I had my system running smoothly when the the MOBO failed and the assumption is all the rest of the parts are fine (someone else tested PS, etc).

So my Qs are:

1) How do I prevent the MOBO to be grounded? (some ringers or washers with the screws or something else...?)

2) I need to keep the HD not re-formated in order to recover files. What will I need to reinstall? (other than sound driver, etc)
I don't know if the HD will be 'instantly' recognized with the Vista64-bit OS or if I'll need to reinstall Vista.
My problem is, (though I have not so old backups) I really need to recover a lot of files from the HD (ongoing projects).

Thanks, A

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 18 June 2009 - 10:31 PM

The motherboard is supposed to be grouded via the standoffs and mounting screws.

Assuming the motherboard is replaced with the same model, everything should work as normal. No format/reinstall should be necessary.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 18 June 2009 - 11:49 PM

"someone else tested PS, etc"

How was the power supply tested ?
If it was by putting a paper clip on 2 of the main connector wires & using a multimeter I wouldn't trust the power supply.
The only way to properly test a power supply & pronounce it good is to test it under a full load using a proper power supply tester.

BTW, If it's a Bestec , HP [rebranded Bestec, or Compaq [Rebranded Bestec] I definatly would not trust it.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users