Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Symptoms of Personal Antivirus but NO evidence

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 AmbientBlu

AmbientBlu

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 18 June 2009 - 08:56 PM

I've been trying for 2 days to fix one of the house laptops. It appears to have been hit by Personal Antivirus, but I cannot find any instances of the program. I am unable to view the majority of webpages, receiving a red screen and a message that says "Warning! Visiting this site may harm your computer. This web site probably contains malicious software program, which can cause damage to your computer or perform actions without your permission. Your computer my be infected after visiting such web site. We recommend you install (or activate) antivirus security software. I do realize that visiting this site can cause harm to my computer." I then have two choices; "Continue Unprotected" or "Get security software". Hovering over the "get security software" option shows a link to safetywebspace.com. The tab in IE where the title of the webpage is displayed simply says "Blocked".

Someone, in an attempt to "fix" the problem, uninstalled the anti virus software that was on the computer, and I have not reinstalled it as of yet since all the sites are blocked. They also uninstalled Personal Antivirus through the Control Panel. I ran Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware last night, and it found an instance of Personal Antivirus that I removed, but the problem with IE persists.

Attached is the HiJack This log ... I looked through it briefly and nothing sent up a red flag. I'm really at my wits end with this. If anyone can help, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files

Edited by AmbientBlu, 18 June 2009 - 08:56 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AmbientBlu

AmbientBlu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2009 - 09:46 PM

Mods, please close this thread. I ran Super AntiSpyware, which found a browser hijacker titled "fake alerts/shcwc". I quarantined and removed it, and now everything seems to be working just fine.

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,962 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2009 - 11:47 PM

Hello,

Thank you for letting us know. I'm glad that your computer problems have been fixed. Since this issue seems to be resolved, this thread will now be closed.

In case you experience any problems with the computer, please start a new topic.

Happy computing,

Orange Blossom :thumbup2:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users