Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How safe is safe mode?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 chirpy

chirpy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 03 July 2005 - 08:34 PM

I am new to Windows Operating Systems, but just purchased Windows 2003. I have a password lock on my machine, but understand I can override it by going into safe mode. Can my teenagers (who are not allowed onto my computer) go into safe mode, override my password, and thus access files and drives on my system? Can they then just reset my password so I'll never know? What exactly can they get to in safe mode without my knowledge?
Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2005 - 08:48 PM

Depends on how skilled in hacking they are.

#3 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2005 - 08:52 PM

It has nothing to do with hacking, merely theyre knowledge of internal windows commands.

What you can do to even prevent them from going into safemode is put a bios password on your machine. Simply reboot repeatedly tap the f8 key, and then in the bios selection options there should be a security or system security area where you can set a password for startup. So before the computer begins loading hte operating system or booting from a disk or anything, it asks for the password you entered. Its a great way to secure your machine, i have one.

#4 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 04 July 2005 - 01:49 AM

Hi Techsomething, I want to say "thank you" for that info, I didn't know that feature was hiding in there. Is that the same thing as setting your Administrator Password?, or is that yet another layer of security? Bye
Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

#5 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2005 - 02:16 AM

Thats another layer of security, whent eh machine is powered on usally the system will say enter systemn password....if the incorrect password is entered 3 times the system powers down. I reccomend making theat password different from the current pass u have set.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2005 - 09:54 PM

This may be useful:

"The Shared Computer Toolkit is ideal for computers in schools, public libraries, community technology centers, and Internet cafés. It allows those who manage shared computers in these environments to easily:

Restrict untrusted users from accessing system settings and data."
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/shareda...s/overview.mspx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users