Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hardware + Driver Problems

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 .Ross

.Ross

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 18 June 2009 - 07:58 PM

So my HP Laptop I purchased about a year ago had encountered some error while I was installing Sabayon Linux after creating the partition, etc. It was working until I hadn't realized I overwrote both the original Vista partition and the partition I created for Sabayon.

Well then I switched to a Beta version of Windows 7 and to my suprise it actually worked wonderfully, and my laptop was running perfectly. Unfortunately a few things I used often were not supported so I grabbed a copy of XP and was just going to start over with XP.

Unfortunately when I installed and booted XP, it could not detect any of the hardware, ie: graphics card, network card, etc.

So my question is; what do I do to get XP to function properly, as in how do I get my graphics card and network card detected? To my knowledge I have an nVidia but because it's not detected I do not know the model, and I have no clue what my network card is.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

-Ross

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KamakaZ

KamakaZ

• Members
  • 739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 18 June 2009 - 08:28 PM

what is the make and model of the laptop? you can try searching, for example, ASUS's website for an ASUS laptop. If you can not find drivers there, try a windows update (select custom and then hardware tab)

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that can read binary, and those who can't.

#3 .Ross

.Ross
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 18 June 2009 - 09:29 PM

The problem is that the Vista and XP won't let me connect to the internet to update.

I reinstalled Windows 7 and again it fixed everything, however I still would like to be able to use XP.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 19 June 2009 - 11:22 AM

If you are going to install XP after installing Windows 7...the best answer I can give is...don't.

Install XP first (since it is the older O/S), then install Windows 7.

The reason for this is the way that the two different bootloaders interact. Windows 7 uses the Vista bootloader.

There are suggested procedures for installing XP after Win 7...but (IMO) it's easier to just do them in the recommended order.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums...8d-f908238bdffd

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rls...oq=&aqi=g10

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users