Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Partition mess

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Marago

Marago

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 18 June 2009 - 07:29 PM

After a loosing battle with a serious virus I had to install XP PRo from scratch.

Previously I had 2 partitions C and E. After re-installing I am only to see partition C. Although partition E was not touched (to my knowledge) I am unable to "see" it. I went into Device Manager and Storage but I am unsure what to do.

Plz help.

THX

M.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,702 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 18 June 2009 - 08:09 PM

Hello Marago.

Just a warning: many modern viruses can spread themselves across partitions. If you did not completely wipe the entire hard disk, the malware may still be present on your system and you could become reinfected. I don't know what virus you had so I can't tell you whether or not you need to do a full format. If you can provide that information, we can know if you need to "nuke" the entire disk.

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 18 June 2009 - 08:53 PM

Hi Marago,

Right-Click on the My Computer icon, and select Manage. This will open the Microsoft Management Console. On the left, click Disk Management under the Storage heading. This will give you a list and representation of all disks and partitions on your computer, recognized or not.

Is the partition in question listed?

#4 Marago

Marago
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2009 - 03:12 PM

Hello and thank you for responding.

To Blade:
The virus was Win32.Virut.56. I know it is a computer killer. Before re-intalling XP i scaned the E partition and apparently nothing was infected. I dont mind the contents of this lost partition, except for some pics.

To Amazing Andrew:
The partition in question does not appear under Disk Management and the Storage heading. It only appears the active partition (boot). My other partition is nowhere to be seen ... it is just occupying space.

M.

#5 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2009 - 03:39 PM

I'm not sure we understand each other. When I say "is it listed?" I mean can you see it in the list even if it doesn't have a letter assigned to it? Or do you only see your boot partition followed by "Unallocated Space"?

#6 Marago

Marago
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2009 - 01:29 AM

It shows the basic partition as NTFS which is C:

The other partition which was e: is not showing at all. No other partition is showing, not even as Unallocated Space.

#7 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2009 - 01:45 AM

Is the new C: partition equal in size to the old C: partition or equal to the old C: and D: put together?

#8 Marago

Marago
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2009 - 02:00 AM

The disk is 320 GB. the current one is about 128 GB (after re installing win xp) the old C: was about 140 GB. Partition E is now absent. I even updated the Bios just in case.

#9 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2009 - 02:09 AM

Hold the phone, I think I know your problem.

You reinstalled, yes? Your installation CD is probably Windows XP SP0 (that is, no service packs) SP0 has an upper limit of 128GB when addressing hard drives. Try installing at least SP1 (SP 3 is now available and I think it includes everything from SP1 and SP2)

This should enable you to see the remainder of the drive. As to whether your data thereon will be recoverable, I can't say.

How to obtain the latest service pack.

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 20 June 2009 - 02:10 AM.

#10 Marago

Marago
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2009 - 02:19 AM

HAH!! You got it AA!! Just updated to SP2 and voila!
I am able now to see 170 GB of unallocated space. How do I make windows recognize it? I mean it is listed as Free space but when I click on "My computer" only drive c comes up. It is not showing as a separate drive.

#11 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2009 - 02:31 AM

Do you want to try to recover the data that may still be there or just get the space available for use?

#12 Marago

Marago
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2009 - 02:39 AM

I would like to get that data back and then set the partition back.

#13 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2009 - 03:12 AM

Okay, then. Recovery it is.

This is going to get a little hairy, and it's not my area of expertise, but I think we can do it together!

You're going to need a program called TestDisk. It's a free and open source disk recovery program.

Step 1: Download the TestDisk executable for Windows here: Download
Step 2: Extract the downloaded zip file using your favorite archive extractor.
Step 3: Double-click on the testdisk_win.exe file (found in the win folder of the extracted archive)
Step 4: You will now be at a scary looking text-based command window:
Posted Image
Press Enter here to create a new log file.

Step 5: TestDisk will now detect all local hard drives, and present them in a list like this:
Posted Image
You have indicated that there is only one hard drive attached to your computer, with two partitions. So, use the arrow (up and down) keys to highlight the disk called /dev/sda.

Note: If /dev/sda isn't listed or you have more than one hard drive, STOP and post back here.

With /dev/sda selected, press Enter

Step 6: Now we need to specify the type of partitions that are on your disk. Select Intel (even if you have an AMD processor).
Posted Image
Press Enter.

Step 7: Select Analyse and press Enter.
Posted Image

Step 8: The next screen will list all found partitions. Press Enter to run a Quick Search.
Posted Image

When asked, say No to this screen:
Posted Image

Step 9: If your missing partition is found, it should show up in the list:
Posted Image
Highlight your partition and press P

This will give you a list of files and folders that were found in the partition. Use the Right arrow key to enter a directory, the Left arrow key to go back to the previous directory, up and down to highlight a file or directory, and C to copy the highlighted file or directory.

Pressing C will copy the file or Direcotry into a new folder within the win folder (the one where TestDisk.exe is located.)

Copy your files and directories over, then press Q a bunch of times until the TestDisk window closes.

Now you can use the Disk Management utility to create and format a new partition using the unallocated space.

#14 Marago

Marago
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2009 - 02:16 AM

Hello

Unfortunately Testdisk did not work. However I was to recover everything using Getdataback for NTFS. Everything was recovered.

Now I cant seem to format the Partition in order for windows to recognize it as a separate drive.

Thanks for all your help!

M.

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,249 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 22 June 2009 - 09:47 AM

Please post a screen shot from Disk Management.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users