Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Renamed avi file keeps showing old name

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Souldat

Souldat

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 18 June 2009 - 03:21 PM

I am running Windows Vista Ultimate 64-Bit. I have some avi files with messy names, so I renamed them to something more manageable. No problem, when I play them in windows media player it shows the new name in the list pane (on the right). The problem happens when I move the files (before renaming) to a shared folder for streaming to my ps3/xbox 360. Once they have been put in that folder it's like there is some sort of memory on the original file name. I can rename the file to whatever I want, and that name stays, but then when I play it in windows media player or on the ps3/xbox 360 it shows the original (messy) file name. The only solution I have been able to find is to rename the files first, and then drop them into my shared folder. Once they are in the shared folder it is the point of no return and the name they have is the name they keep. I have tried "abcAVI Tag Editor" and that is showing the file name as the title name. So the original file name doesn't appear to be trapped in the tag. I tried moving the files out of the shared folder then renaming.. it worked until I put them back in the shared folder, then it's back to the original name. Do I just need to refresh the shared folder somehow? Any help would be great. Please and thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 18 June 2009 - 07:11 PM

Right-click on the folder that has the files you're sharing and select properties
Click on the sharing tab and click on Advanced Sharing
Click on the Permissions tab and make your selections there
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Souldat

Souldat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2009 - 09:36 PM

I tried tinkering with some of those options, it doesn't seem to have any affect on the problem I am having though. I can share the files fine, its just showing the old file name on wmp/ps3/xbox360 instead of the new one.

#4 Souldat

Souldat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2009 - 05:17 PM

For any future readers of this post who may have the same problem, I found a solution. All I had to do was change the file names within the Windows Media Player library. Problem Solved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users