Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to access Microsoft Windows Update page

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 deafracer

deafracer

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 18 June 2009 - 02:57 PM

I had some issues after I downloaded the CA Security Suite 2007 and 2009 versions. I also had Webroot Antivirus with Spyware.

A 'friend' had installed Avast on it a few months ago but the subscription expired so I was looking for something else that I liked instead of Avast. Just was shopping around.

I have RoadRunner internet service and they offer the CA Security Suite for their customers. I had heard that this is a good company. Am I wrong?

But since I started all this, 2 days ago, I have not had a smooth operating computer. Certain sites are not showing the drop down links and some sites dont even let the links work anymore. Is this a internet issue or firewall issue? I have removed all but the Windows Firewall and I have it on default settings.

When I click on the Windows Update link, in the start up, I get the IE page but it is blank. I can go to Windows home or other pages but when I try the Update page it just remains blank.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 18 June 2009 - 03:29 PM

The IE Update page being blank I have heard of a lot. There are other ways to get updates, but that should really work.

There are different things that seem to get it working for different people, so I am not sure exactly which might help you.

Clearing temporary Internet files is an old suggestion from Microsoft.

Making sure you have a Language selected in IE is another - Tools, Options, Languages - pick a good one for you or change it, change it back, Apply, restart IE.

With IE closed, reregister certain DLLs from Start, Run, CMD. You will usually see some success message for each...

regsvr32 jscript <--this one is a popular "fix"

regsvr32 vbscript
regsvr32 /i mshtml

And maybe these:

regsvr32 wuapi.dll
regsvr32 wups.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
regsvr32 wucltui.dll
regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Before adjusting, close IE, adjust, restart IE, test.

If you can sort of do them one at a time (I know it is more trouble) and test to see which one does the trick, that would be good information.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#3 deafracer

deafracer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 10 July 2009 - 06:03 PM

Thanks for the tips. But in my frustration I decided to wipe out the memory and start fresh. I am a new IT student and studying comp repair as well. So I decided to start early and made a mess of it also. But currently after some help from others on this site I have gotten a lot of it taken care of and the laptop is working really good now. A few minor quirks but still much better than it was when all this started.

Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users