Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disk Boot Failure

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ronniebebe

Ronniebebe

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 03 July 2005 - 07:35 PM

:thumbsup: During the start up of my computer I got the message "DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER"
I assumed by system it meant the windows you use, I use XP, so I put the disk for XP in and pressed enter, nothing happened. Over the next couple of hours I tried time and time again to see if it would start, then it did, no idea why. Never turned it off last night just in case it would not start again.

Need some ideas.Ron

WWS

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 03 July 2005 - 08:05 PM

Either your hard drive crashed or maybe the ide cable connecting your harddrive has come unplugged. Simply pop off the side cover of your case and check it out. keep a hand on an unpainted metal surface to dicharge any static electricity while inside your computer.

#3 PapaSmurf88

PapaSmurf88

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2005 - 05:10 AM

Did you check the disk drive? I dont mean to be mean but I have had several ppl (about $400 worth) call my computer repair business and ask me to come out there for this error, and all it is, is a non-system disk (i.e. DOS boot up disk) that I have to eject and it will still cost them $80 for me to eject that disk. Sry that was off topic, anyways as my teacher always told me. K.I.S.S.

Keep It Simple Stupid

Sry no offence to anyone.

Papa Smurf
My Specs:

Albatron PX915P4C Pro
Intel P4 3.0 Ghz Processor w/ HT technology
2x 512MB PC3200 Memory
120 GB Western Digital IDE HD
SAPPHIRE X550 256Mb Video Card

#4 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 AM

Posted 04 July 2005 - 04:34 PM

[B][SIZE=7] your systems disk is the one that came with your computer is for the motherboard ,its the one you put in after you have loaded windows, it has your drivers on it, for you colours sounds, and many other bits etc.

Hope this helps you.
Now installed Microsoft Security Essencials on my Tower with Windows Home Premium 32bit and Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop with Windows Home Premium 64bit

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2005 - 09:34 PM

REFERENCE NUMBER: CH000387

Disk boot failure:

Issue:

Disk boot failure.

Cause:

This issue could be caused by any of the following possibilities.

1. Boot options are not set properly in CMOS
2. Non bootable CD or CD-R in computer
3. All boot devices set are not bootable

Solution:

BOOT OPTIONS ARE NOT SET PROPERLY IN CMOS

Verify that the boot options within CMOS are set properly. Below is an example of how we recommend the boot options be set.

1. Floppy drive
2. CD-ROM drive
3. Hard Drive
4. Other / Network

NON BOOTABLE CD OR CD-R IN COMPUTER

Verify that no CD or CD-R is in the computer possibly causing the computer to attempt to boot from that disc.

ALL BOOT DEVICES SET ARE NOT BOOTABLE

If all of the above recommendations have been attempted and you encounter the same issue it is likely that the computer is not detecting any devices in the computer that are bootable. Attempt to boot from a bootable floppy disk.

If you are unable to boot from a known bootable floppy diskette, ensure that the floppy drive is properly setup. Additional information and troubleshooting on the computer floppy drive can be found on document CH000277.

Once you are able to boot from a bootable floppy diskette, ensure that the hard disk drive is able to be read. Information about why you may not be able to see the hard drive when booting from a floppy diskette can be found on document CH000047.
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000387.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users