Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"serious error" / boot failure

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bayard

bayard

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 18 June 2009 - 02:15 PM

I bought a computer for my godson some months ago, and after an initial issue with cpu.inf, (it was hanging windows xp setup; i was able to pause setup and resolve the problem) I had everything working well. Recently he started getting "The system has recovered from a serious error," and an archaic series of character strings. I did manage to grap a .DMP file that supposedly has more info. I can attach it to this post if there is no sensitive info - is there? Let me know.

The earlier error the first time around was IRQL_Not_Less_Or_Equal, which research tells me can be many things ,everyhing from a bad driver to faulty hardware to just overheating. I cleaned some dust out of the pc and it seemed to fix the problem, but then I left it on overnight and it had crashed by morning.

I've tried booting into ubuntu and XP safe mode, neither is possible, apparently. Ubuntu give a "kernel panic: tried to kill init!" and safe mode prints a lot of paths and file names on the screen then just stops. Booting into XP as per normal works sometimes, but almost always gives the error or soft boots right after starting up.

I've swapped out the RAM and HDD, and tested them as well, they don't seem to be the problem. Temps seem normal or just slightly high.

Here are the specs.

Biostar P4M900M7FE Motherboard - VIA P4M900CD, Socket 775, MicroATX, Audio, PCI Express, 10/100 Ethernet LAN, USB 2.0, Serial ATA, RAID

Intel Pentium Dual Core E2200 Processor HH80557PG0491M - 2.20GHz, 1MB Cache, 800MHz FSB, Allendale, Dual Core, OEM, Socket 775, Processor

Kingston 1024MB PC5400 DDR2 667MHz Memory (I also tried some older Corsair memory... did not seem to make a difference)

PowerUp P4 CPU Cooling Fan - Socket 775, Copper Base

There are actually 2 sticks of the RAM. I appreciate any help you can offer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 18 June 2009 - 03:08 PM

You can try to get some useful info from the .dmp file and post same here.

Help Diagnosing BSODs And Crashes (BC) - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/176011/how-to-receive-help-diagnosing-blue-screens-and-windows-crashes/

But the first thing I would have done...if I had two different O/Ses fail to boot...would have been to run a manufacturer's diagnostic on that hard drive.

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

Louis

#3 bayard

bayard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 19 June 2009 - 01:01 PM

Thanks very much for the reply. :thumbsup:

I have attached three recent DMPs (i zipped them first.) I hope you can tell something from these. (What software are you using to look at them, cos I don't seem to be able to open them.)

Again, thanks, and please let me know...

Attached Files

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 19 June 2009 - 02:22 PM

I think you misunderstood.

You...have to run those logs, following the specified procedure...and then post the results here.

If you click on the images you supplied, you will see that they are of no value to anyone who views your post.

If you cannot do that...you might want to try something like Resplendence Software - WhoCrashed Home Edition Download - http://www.resplendence.com/downloads

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users