Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External hard drive problems

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 18 June 2009 - 10:48 AM

Hi Family !
I have a Western Digital , external hard drive. The model number is WD25001032-001.
It was dropped last week and now shows signs of problems. After plugging it in, it loads up ok. Sometimes now, it freezes up while opening up files and trying to add or delete files. Sometimes it works ok.
Is there a way to run a program on it to see whats wrong with it and fix it ? Or, is it time to take everything off of it and trash it ?
Any and all help will be greatly appreciated !
The measure of man's real character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,572 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2009 - 10:56 AM

Have you run a WD diagnostic on it yet?

Louis

#3 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2009 - 11:08 AM

No. Do you have a link where I would be able to get that ?
The measure of man's real character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,572 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2009 - 11:33 AM

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.as...101&lang=en

Looks like the right model.

Louis

#5 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2009 - 11:40 AM

Should I take my personal files off the hard drive before running this diagnostic tool ?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,572 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2009 - 03:16 PM

Anytime a user has a problem with the system...it's always wise to have files backed up or moved to another location.

Hardware failures occur every day, on everything...computers are no exception.

And...hardware failures are not the only events which create situations calling for a possible clean install of XP.

I don't ever remove files because I either have backups or don't mind doing a clean install (when the occasion demands it).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users