Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

80gb to 250gb

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 palomino

palomino

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 18 June 2009 - 09:59 AM

Is it possible to clone a Windows XP Home Edition 80 gb hard drive on to a 250gb drive so that I don't have to go through all the time of loading an OS, Programs, and data files? If so, how do you do it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,245 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2009 - 11:11 AM

<<Is it possible to clone a Windows XP Home Edition 80 gb hard drive on to a 250gb drive...>>

Yes, that's routine.

<<...so that I don't have to go through all the time of loading an OS, Programs, and data files?>>

If you don't load an O/S...how are you going to access whatever may be on a hard drive?

If you don't load programs...what are you going to do...and how are you going to do it...even if you figure out a way to access data files?

I, obviously, don't understand whatever it is that lies in your mind.

Louis

#3 palomino

palomino
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2009 - 11:36 AM

I think you missed the word "CLONE". With WIN98, you could clone a hdd and when you hooked up the hdd as "master" on primary IDE interface, you could run your system as if it was on the same hdd.

#4 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2009 - 12:25 PM

Download, unzip, & install XXClone ,

http://www.xxclone.com/xxclone.zip

Set the jumper on the back of the new HD to Slave
Remove the installed Slave drive & install the new one in it's place
Start XP & go to My Computer to see if the new drive is shown
If so right click on it & on the menu click Format
Format the drive to the NTFS file system.

If the new drive doesn't show go to the Control Panel
Double click Administrative Tools
Double click Computer Management
Under Storage click on Disk Management
All drives in the computer should show up
In the bottom box click on the new drive [probably D]
In the white box with the lines to the right of the drive listing right click & on the menu click Format
Format the drive to the NTFS file system

Close out back to the desktop
Open XXClone
On the first page that opens make sure the Source volume is C & the target volume is the new HD
Make sure there is a dot in the circle by "Back up the entire volume by copying all the files from scratch [ /backup1]
Click on Cool Tools
Click on Make Bootable
Where it says Boot Control put checkmarks in all 3 boxes
Click Start
You will be asked if you're sure , click yes, Ok, [can't remember exact word but proceed]
When that is done go back to Operation mode
Click on Start
You will be asked if you're sure , click yes, Ok, [can't remember exact word but proceed]

After the cloning is finshed turn off the computer & unplug it
Remove the new drive & set the jumper to Master
Remove the old Master drive & install the new drive in it's place
Install the old Slave drive
Start the computer
If all went right your new drive should boot to the desktop. :thumbsup:

Put your old Master drive away for a backup.

The online manual is here if you need it,

http://www.xxclone.com/ixcman00.htm

I have used XXClone many times.
The only thing I've found that doesn't clone right is AVG anti-virus.
I uninstall it before cloning & reinstall after I'm done.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,245 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2009 - 03:34 PM

Anyone can clone any hard drive which reflects an O/S...and that clone will boot.

Is that what you are asking? I don't get it, I'm sorry to say.

In any case, there are a ton of free programs that allow anyone to clone a hard drive today. Some examples follow.

EASEUS Disk Copy Free Disk Copy, Disk Clone, Partition Copy Software. Sector by Sector for hard drive backup freeware. - http://www.easeus.com/disk-copy/

EASEUS Partition Master is a magic partition manager software for Windows 2000-XP-Vista-2003- - http://www.partition-tool.com/

Louis

#6 palomino

palomino
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2009 - 11:08 AM

fairjoeblue,

I tried your procedure. Here are my results:

When Xxclone was finished after about 15 hours, it said I should make "bootable". Since I had already done this prior to running "Operation mode", I figured it was meant for those that didn't do the "Make Bootable" first.
When I put my new hdd drive in and made it master, it failed on boot-up with the "blue screen of death" (BSOD). The stop was 0x0000007b. I then put the hdd new hdd back in as a slave and ran storage manager to remove the drive letter from the slave hdd "E". Tried booting with new drive again and get same BSOD.
Any thoughts?

#7 palomino

palomino
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2009 - 09:24 AM

"fairjoeblue" - I'm sorry your suggestion didn't work. I lost a lot of time trying.

"hamluis" - I followed your suggestion and used Easeus Disk Copy 2.3 and worked perfectly. You seemed to be a little
upset with my query on this subject. It was not just trying to get around reloading an O/S, it was not having
to reload all the programs I use. I have about 42 different programs that I use quite often and reloading all
of them would be quite a chore. Thanks again for your suggestion.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,245 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2009 - 02:54 PM

Glad you solved it :thumbsup:.

When I read "loading", I thought of that as "I don't want to install an operating system, programs, etc." which made no sense at all to me when thinking of a bare hard drive (since cloning installs all that on a bare drive). A misperception on my part.

Happy computing :huh:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users