Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Purchase Template: Gaming PC

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Dremora

Dremora

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 18 June 2009 - 09:33 AM

So my computer is pretty outdated, it's been close to 5 years since I have bought a new one. I figure now is a good time since SC2 is on the horizon.

My budget for the new computer is: $900-1000, I really don't want to go over a grand.

What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)? Gaming mostly, but also plenty of web browsing, and video content (using Vuze).

What software do you intend on using on the computer? Video/audio editing software. SC2/Diablo 3. Vuze (torrents).

Do you play games? If so, what type of games? SC2, not so much for the RTS part, but the editor and the community that goes with it. WC3 is still my primarily played game thanks to the world editor, and I imagine SC2 will last just as long. The game I'm most excited about is Diablo 3. I would like to play these games at max settings without any problems. That's about all I'm interested in at the moment.

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it? I tend to have three things open at once; web browser, game, and editing application or video capture. Rarely 4 if I have Vuze running.

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer? Nope.

I was considering the Area-51 750i for $900.
http://www.alienware.com/products/desktop-computers.aspx
Would that be a good choice?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 23 June 2009 - 12:39 PM

Dell bought Alienware.
You might want to compare that area 51 to the ell XPS series.
A XPS is pretty much a alienware without the fancy case.

If you are getting a new unit with gaming in mind you might consider building your own.
By being able to select your own parts you can get the most bang for your buck[s].

Edited by fairjoeblue, 23 June 2009 - 12:42 PM.

OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users